Can you transfer a sitebuilder plus website to websitebuilder?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 7 days of inactivity

I want to use my old (built in Site builder Plus) site images and text and transfer this to the Sitebuilder platform so that i dont have resave and redo the whole site from scratch? Is there a way?
Photo of Roger3220

Roger3220

• 874 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Marsha4449

Marsha4449

• 1,878 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Roger3220,
You can't transfer the Site builder plus website to the new WebBuilder platform. However, having gone thru the exact process myself it is definitely worth doing. I initially was annoyed but found that I could build the new website whilst the old one was still alive. I just copied and pasted text into the new site and pulled the photos from a folder I had on my computer.
Web Builder is brilliant and has so many features that Sitebuilder does not, as in drop down menus and mobile phone view. It only took me a few hours to manually transfer the data. It was a great opportunity to revisit the info I had on the old website. It is easy to use. My new website looks professional and I've had heaps of comments on the upgrade.Here is a link if you'd like to have a look. www.kwaya.org You can take as long as you want to make your new website as the old one stays live until you transfer the domain name to your new website. Good luck.  

Photo of Helen1169

Helen1169

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How do you do this? Set up the new one in edit mode and then eventually switch over. I'm ready to discard Homestead as I'm not sure I have the time to re-do mine
Photo of steve4468

steve4468

• 3,230 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
You will have to create a new website from scratch. Once built you simply change the site association so your domain points to the new website. Once you create the new website name you'll have the option of using the newer software WebsiteBuilder. Don't panic. Chances are you already know the basics of using the new WebsiteBuilder. You just don't know where everything is. Once you figure out where everything is you'll find it to be as easy as sitebuilder plus and desktop sitebuilder.
Photo of Marsha4449

Marsha4449

You can't transfer the Site builder plus website to the new WebBuilder platform. However, having gone thru the exact process myself it is definitely worth doing. I initially was annoyed but found that I could build the new website whilst the old one was still alive. I just copied and pasted text into the new site and pulled the photos from a folder I had on my computer.

Web Builder is brilliant and has so many features that Sitebuilder does not, as in drop down menus and mobile phone view. It only took me a few hours to manually transfer the data. It was a great opportunity to revisit the info I had on the old website. It is easy to use. My new website looks professional and I've had heaps of comments on the upgrade.Here is a link if you'd like to have a look. www.kwaya.org You can take as long as you want to make your new website as the old one stays live until you transfer the domain name to your new website. Good luck. 

Photo of Roger3220

Roger3220

• 874 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Great answers thanks so much I guess its time to basically redo the site times change. Great idea to copy and paste and have the site folder dowloaded to the desktop for easy uploading..
Photo of Marsha4449

Marsha4449

Good luck. Would love to see before and after shots if you feel like sharing the.
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 14,388 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Roger,

Here is how you can download the images and files from your current site and save to your computer in a folder so it makes it easier when rebuilding. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/sitebuilder-plus-downloadable-archive
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 14,388 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Helen,

You can also use those instructions to download your current content, then you can get started building in the new software with these instructions. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how-do-i-create-a-new-site
Once you are done with the new site you can attach your domain to that new website using https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_can_i_switch_my_domain_to_a_new_site_i_built.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.