BigCommerce Google Structured Data

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving

Over the past 2-4 weeks there have been several (short intermittent) issues with BC Admin either abruptly being logged off, not accepting/saving info or running very slow. So it has occurred to me that BC has been doing a fair amount of 'backend' work and (aside from the 'AfterShip' issue) here is what I have seen and now experiencing:
  1. A week or so ago while being abruptly logged off, the 'window' said 'ProStores could not be connected to' (or something similar as if we had lost our connection). So this has happened several times but this one saying 'ProStores' instead of BigCommerce had me a bit concerned running malware like crazy - without issue on our side.
  2. For several days Google Structured Data has been sending the following error:

This has been occurring somewhat consistently and then after several attempts to refresh it sometimes will come up. Chrome has had several 'updates' lately so also tried in Firefox - same issue. However, the data pulls up without issue for top domain (in sitebuilder). Until recently I have not experienced a problem (with the exception of a few 'glitches' w/google structured data) since the original code placement 2/3 years ago and enhancing this code over a year ago. 

When Structured Data does come up there has been a whopping two thirds reduction in items since mid July and I emphasize 'when' it comes up as mostly I get the error.

I also have a fairly large increase in broken links - very old links from the old 'ProStores' website that seem to have been 'dumped' on the web and also linked from the old Store URLs. Combine these new broken links (mostly since mid month and the message that ProStores could not be connected to is a bit concerning.

Please advise what has and/or is going on.

Appreciate it
Photo of S

S

• 6,790 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of S

S

Just got logged out again - 'unable to resolve the server's DNS address' (message only appears on mouse over therefore not showing in snippet)

(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Do you ever open multiple windows of the store admin? If one of them times out, this could cause the log outs.

Have you tried testing some URLs in Googles tool, https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/ Bigcom suggested some of the data may need updating.

Still trying to figure out who you would be seeing Prostores references at all.
Photo of S

S

lol...the data that is missing in testing tool is the same data that has always been missing since day one yet I have never for over a year not been able to load the structured data page in google before. BTW - in BigCommerce update (not sure which one) they have warning in product pricing (which is not markup that I do) and have never seen this warning in testing tools before (so that is a change). The error above it is because I do not have 'reviews' enabled and this error is consistent with that status however does not prevent fetching of structured data for the site.

Just a note - recently I noticed a number '1' added to Category Titles in some Rich Pins - and that appeared not so consistent - at this time not so important, but something certainly going on.

Multiple windows open in Admin - yes indeed, I am a multi-tasker and being logged out is one thing but not being logged suddenly & abruptly sometimes immediately and or within seconds of logging in (when only one window is open).
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

So, I will keep a watch for more complaints about some of this, but Google often enables certain things but doesn't enforce them for quite some time, so it is possible that the change has been on Googles end. Try updating the data and see if it passes.

It certainly shouldn't log out right away. Have you checked on the BigCom status feed to see if there was an issue when the problem occurred?

Photo of S

S

Google tells me this (missing data in the markup) has nothing to do with the 'fetching' of the data. This has something to do with a change at BC. Also, please note the warning on Price is actually more important as it states 'invalid' and price is part of BC's markup (recent changes on their part - as it was never included as a warning any time I did testing otherwise I would have raised the issue before).
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Can you give me the URL of a couple products this happens on, or is it on all?
Photo of S

S

again sorry for the delay, did not receive reply. I tested several more - both older offers and newer ones - this is the response for all that I have tested.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Can you provide 2 or 3 URLs for products that give you this error?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.