Big Trouble with .mp4/html5 FILE SIZE

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving

Okay. .wmv files were a much smaller file size. Now with Windows 10 and the new formats to upload and view, I am limited still to 200 megabytes to upload.

This is serious, I have two videos that are over 800 megabytes when converted into the new format.

What I want is 1000 megabytes of video each upload. I have to have it! I run a television network!

I installed the desktop version to see if it would allow me to do this, but I can't run that application because I have plus.
Photo of Julie5507

Julie5507

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • displeased and frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

We do limit the file size, as too large of files causes your website to load slowly and causes issues with large files. If you are needing to have massive videos on your site larger than 200 MB, I would recommend using a third party video hosting company that specializes in hosting in videos specifically. This would allow the videos to be on your site without impacting your website performance. The most popular free options are Vimeo, and YouTube.

We do still have the old video players, under the more option under insert, if you still want to use the .wmv files. This could cause browser compatibility options, as it may require plugins to play the .wmv files. 
Photo of Steve9540

Steve9540

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am having a problem uploading wmv files under 200mb  They always loaded before and now it gives me a message about a FLV player which when I click on it gives me a dead link. It has always worked before and I shouldn't have to upgrade.  I am using Windows 7.  Need info and help on this..
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Try using the file manager to import it, then add it to the page. How large is the file? What is happening when you try to upload it? What site and page are you working on?
Photo of Steve9540

Steve9540

I always have done that.  Create the page and imported the clip using the media button then publish page.  I have a few files I am working on.  I always make my clips in wav format because they are smaller and I make sure none of them are over 200mbs.  One of them is 188mbs and what it does is it will publish the page but won't publish the clip.  I get a message that the file is too large and I need to upgrade to FLV.. I have tons of clips I have made for my site and have never had any issues.  I know they take a little longer to load and I put this message on my site and have never had any complaints because they know in advance to wait.  My site is Universal Steve   (www.universalsteve.com)  and the page is not published yet because it is a new section and I won't make the links to it until I get this resolved. Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I am going to try to contact Homestead tomorrow.  I need to get this resolved. If you have any ideas, I am definitely listening.
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Almost all the media files aon your site are .wmv, not .wav. That may be the issue. wmv  files require a browser plug in that may be disabled by some browsers. The largest .wmv on your site is 84mb. We have change the media element to be HTML5. The old elements will still be there, but may not work on some browsers because of the plug in. Try converting 1 to an mp3 or mp4 and upload it
Photo of Steve9540

Steve9540

I can't convert to mpeg3but I tried a mpeg4 and it would not show up on the list of files in that folder I could import. I tried converting to a avi and that did not work also. I get the same message that the file exceeds the limit need to upgrade to an flv but yet it is only 188 mbs  smaller than the 200 mbs allowed. The upgrade is beginning to render my site usless because I can not build on it and maybe cause some of my older stuff to not function anymore. Today is the 16th year anniversary of the site and I wanted to add a new section to it but it isn't happening. After 16 years this is the first time I have been discouraged with Homestead. I pay for this service and I feel they have failed me.

Photo of William S

William S

Do you use SiteBuilder Desktop or Plus? The new video players are Plus only and will not work in Desktop. If you need information on how to convert videos to MP4, I would recommend checking out a website that will convert them for free. http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp4.

If you find that it is converting to a too large of a MP4, you can change the bitrate, or even specify a file size limit when converting the file.
Photo of Steve9540

Steve9540

I use Site Builder Desktop. I have a program that converts video files and I tried converting the clip to MP4 and when I try to import the clip, I look in the folder with my clips and none of the MP4 or Mpeg4 show up on available files for importing. All my clips are under 200mbs and none last longer than 3 minutes. It does show all my wmv clips they import to the sitebuilder but I can't publish them. I tried converting one to an avi and it does publish but doesn't play. Everything plays well in the preview screen.  My site is 16 years old now and when I started it there was mostly desktops and I figured most all computers had a Windows Media Player. I put a message that it would take a few moments for clips to load and everyone waited and my numbers are good. I see that if you use a laptop or phone you can see the pictures but not the clips. I am really concerned that these updates Homestead has done stopped a good portion of my site and now I can't get my clips on it, Homestead has rendered my site useless and I am not getting my moneys worth. I know these updates are for desktops and phones which are more of the norm these days but I should have the decision that my site is built for mostly desktops but I don't. I might be outdated but even if there was a clip version I could use. it sound as though I would have to do all the clips over and that would be a huge task/ Thank you for stepping in the conversation to offer advice. Are you and Drew Homestead engineers? I appreciate the help but if you don't work for them I do need to contact Homestead.
Photo of William S

William S

Yes, Drew and I are both Homestead employees and community admins. The updates to audio players not playing and plugins required is an update to computers and computer browsers moving away from this method. The newer method is HTML5 audio and video players and are designed to work across all computers and devices that see your website. The format used for these new audio players is MP3 or MP4. This is to standardize the videos and audio files on the internet to make sure all customers are able to view the important media on your site. These new players are available in SiteBuilder Plus only. If you want to make sure all customers are able to view the media, with the way computer browsers have changed, you would need to use these new audio and video players. 
Photo of Steve9540

Steve9540

Good to know you are with Homestead and again thank you for the help. It looks like I have some decisions to make but might I impose on you for a few stupid questions. I am getting into unfamiliar territory here. Here goes:

1) Am I to understand that from here on I should not use the destop sitebuilder but use the Site Builder Plus on the website? Does it change things and make a difference?

2) Does this mean that the wmv clips I have now will stop working?

3) By changing the clips to MP4 will that make them load faster?

4) I have to try it again but I experimented with a clip I converted to MP4 and when I tried to publish it I got a message saying that I needed a video file and that was an audio file only. I can't remember if I used the desktop site builder or the Site Builder Plus.I also tried an avi conversion. It published but did not play but would play in the editor and when I opened the clip in the file on my computer it played as well as the MP4 played also. Any thoughts?

5) If I can get an MP4 to load with Site Builder Plus and get the clips to work like the wmv clips, is there an easier way to convert those files instead of one at a time. It is a large site. Also any ideas on how to get the clips copied back in my converter so I can convert them and re load them?

6) Does this mean a clip I linked to which is a wmv might not play anymore?

7) By using the Site Builder Plus doe this install new audio and video drivers on the site to make these things work?

8) My video converter doesn't have the option for MP3  only MP4. Is this a problem or is there another place I can get a free (hopefully) converter to do what I need.

It sound like I will have to re do all the clips on my site which is a huge undertaking. But if I did this would both desktops and tablets be able to view the clips? I do know laptops can't see my clips.

Sorry to load you with questions but the change blindsided me and I am not exactly a software wizard. Please answer these questions when you get a chance. It sounds like I have a lot of work to do.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Good morning. No problem. Ask all the questions you like.

1) Sitebuilder Plus is our newer platform. Currently, that is where the new features are being added. It supports HTML whereas desktop does not. In some rare cases customers have had to do some adjustment to their pages, but there should not be any change, other than a bit of a learning curve to Sitebuilder Plus

2) Overtime it does. The browsers are doing away with support for browser plug ins, like Windows Media Player. These plug ins are required to play wmv files. Microsoft may update things at some point, but you will be better off with using the HTML5 elements, as they will work uniformly across browsers and platforms.

3) Our elements still do not stream, so the load time will depend of file size. As Will mentioned, you can play with sound quality and video quality a little to change the size of the file. There is no real need to post audio in 7.1 stereo, as few people will be watching with that many speakers. CD or even FM quality sound are sufficient for computers and mobile devices. If your files are still very large and slow, then we do suggest a streming service, like YouTube be used to reduce load times.

4) avi files also require a plu in, so I would stick with mp3 or mp4. It is possible that the conversion software only makes audio files into mp3. You can use an mp3 as well.

5) Converting is a function of whichever software you use. The may have a bulk convert option. You would likely need to have all the media files in a folder for conversion. You would then need to upload them. Using Chrome or Firefox, you can use the Sitebuilder Plus file manager to import all the files within a folder, so you can start them going and walk away to allow them to upload. Unfortunately, you will need to delete the old element off the page and add the new individually. There is no way for us to automate that process.

6) Correct. It may depend on the browser and version the visitor is using, but this has also always been the case, as not everyone chooses to install the plug in in the first place.

7) When you launch Sitebuilder Plus, there is a pop up regarding the new HTML5 elements. You can see the supported formats there. Any of those formats should work on all platforms.

8) It should not be a problem, other than if the conversion software doesn't allow it. mp3 files are only capable of storing audio, while mp4 can store both, but there is no reason that an mp4 can't store audio only. You can search Google for other converters. There are many of them. Unfortunately, I don't have a recommended one for you, though perhaps another customer or two might.

Feel free to ask for clarification on any of this.
Photo of Steve9540

Steve9540

I used the Site Builder Plus to upload a converted MP4 file and I got a message that only media files are allowed. I have downloaded 2 different converters and tried both clips and got same message. Also could I have a clarification  on how I can get the clips in the editor back on my computer so I can convert them if I get this other issue figured out?  Thank you and have a nice holiday.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I see a few mp4s have been uploaded and published. Are you still having a problem. If so, what is the file name and what page are you trying to add it to? Are you adding it via the file manager or the Insert button?
Photo of Steve9540

Steve9540

I figured out the Sitebuilder Plus and found out what I was doing wrong.  I clicked on the youtube box and it dropped down to media player I think. I clicked on that and added the MP4 and it worked. Another question I have is I tested the clips on a  laptop and they work and seem to load quickly. When I used wmv's people could double click on the clip and it would go full screen where I noticed the MP4's do not.  Is this because you can stretch them on a laptop and phone?  Does this mean desktop users will have it only smaller screen?
Photo of William S

William S

Do you have an example page where I can see this on your site?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.