BC Template Update Available

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Several questions regarding Templates -
  1. Currently I noticed an 'update to new version' available in control panel and wondered if anyone knew what the 'update' relates to? (Homewares-brown)  I could not find any info about it - concerned about updating in case 'reverting' doesn't work  :)
  2. I see all the new 'themes' available and not quite sure what they mean - Style Editor vs Responsive?
  3. Since about end of March there has been a drastic change in Mobile Orders  (based on icon showing in Order Panel) Mobile Phone now non-existent and iPad/Android down considerably. Google Analytic shows mobile traffic down 75%.
  4. On May 10, someone abandoned an Order after 3 attempts (which I might conclude they wanted to place the order rather than not liking the terms and actually abandoning.
At the early stages of website transfer (Jan-March) we registered a good balance of mobile activity without issue. I use a tracking code for website tracking and in that profile it also showed all traffic back then. It is no longer showing and they (the other company) is telling me I need to install on the mobile template.

In Jan/Feb? when we had access to BC directly, there was a change the tech said 'created an unexpected consequence' and he was kind enough to go into the mobile template and make a minor change (on order e-mail). Activity and Statistics/Web Monitoring continued to register after this - but no longer.

Confused as to why all the mobile stats have changed so drastically.

Appreciate your insight.
Photo of S

S

• 6,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,698 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sally, We'll be happy to check with Bigcommerce to see if they have any release notes with the specific changes. Is there anything in particular you are looking or hoping for?   Drew created this post which shows more about the Style Editor? For the most part it just makes changing fonts, colors etc a little easier.    As far as the mobile traffic being down, there could be quite a few reasons for this. What time frame are you comparing (from Prostores to Bigcommerce)?  Or are you referring to something more recent? 

Mike

Photo of S

S

Hello Mike -

We transferred to BC on Dec 30/31. Everything referenced here is within BC live store time frame.

Thank you for the link on 'Style Editor' - that was helpful (apparently not currently supported in my theme).

What are the 'Responsive' templates (is there a post on that also)?

Thanks!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

There is not a post for the Responsive templates but Responsive templates are designed to be more flexible regardless of the users screen size and resolution. For example if you resize your window when viewing a responsive template the content/elements self-adjust to fit the screen size. This is generally considered a more desirable format especially given the wide variety of monitors and other devices that a site could be viewed on. 

Mike
Photo of S

S

Thank you for that explanation - sadly my 'old template' brand new website must have been 'responsive' enough since we had received many mobile user orders until an 'update' took place.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Sally,   I just got a message back regarding the template/theme updates.  I was informed that Bigcommerce does not keep, or provide any release notes on the older templates such as 'Homewares-brown".  But going forward they are putting update notes on this page: https://support.bigcommerce.com/questions/1813/Theme+Release+Notes+   If you want to keep an eye on the new releases, you may want to bookmark this page.

Mike

Photo of S

S

I am familiar with the release updates but I do not have those templates.  I am a bit stunned that we are expected to 'blindly' update without knowing the issues as I believe a previous 'update' (or should I say 'downgrade') may have 'stripped' certain functions from my template and leaves me to wonder if that is why suddenly my mobile stats/sales/functionality has changed so drastically.

Without even updating yet, I already noticed a function in Store Settings > Display that is no longer there? Although it was not holding the setting, 'show drop shadows around the fly out menu' was available and functioning.

As a customer of Homestead, I feel your 'partner' needs to provide you proper documentation to pass along to your customers as I suspect many Homestead Customers are using the templates initially chosen by Homestead during the transfer. Just a thought...knowing what the issues are seems transparent; being surprised by what has been 'stripped' away just seems 'less than professional'.

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I'm going to look into this also. I agree it would be very useful if we had more specifics around the template changes.

Mike
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Sally,  I just got confirmation that they did indeed remove that drop shadow setting yesterday   And you are right, it never did actually work.

Mike
Photo of S

S

Mike - First and foremost, I have not 'updated' anything yet and that change happened anyway.

I think you are loosing track of the real question here. I expect a company to make changes that correct issues and improve their customer's experience. Since Homestead has moved our website (& chose this template), there have been so many changes including but not limited to the template....on a comical note - there was a time I wanted to make a change to the template and by the time I researched and returned to make the change - the template had totally change!

So possibly some change has taken place that has now impacted my mobile site/statistics quite drastically since launching this website site.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good morning Sally,

I agree and am sharing your comments with Bigcommerce.  I will see what they have to say, but as far as I know template updates are not made without you applying them, as any custom code you have done will be erased.  This is why you see the update message.

Can you see if the drop in mobile traffic occurred as a result of 1 or 2 days of nothing or was it a steady decline?  If you see a sharp decrease in any particular day, I can see if any update were applied about then and try to find out what was done and what we may be able to do about it.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of S

S

Good morning Drew -

I am aware that we only see the 'update' button when the files have been customized - keep in mind, the template was customized by the time I received it. (I think it only impacts the default templates - but I suspect if you had custom work that was no longer compatible, you may need to revert or correct).

That being said, there have been plenty of 'updates' without me choosing any updates - I think I have only chosen an update once before.

See item #3 & #4 in my original post above - I think that well explains the time frame where I first started to see the impact. (Jan-Feb-part of March; 1 of 2/3 transactions were tablet or phone. Phone is now non-existent and tablet dropped considerably.

My system log shows several updates early April. Something's up (or maybe everyone was just playing & buying from their new holiday gifts early in the year...lol

Thanks for looking into it!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok, I am looking into it now. 

I just want to make sure of our terminology as well.  Updates are applied to the program by Bigcommerce as they make changes.  Template changes are specific to the design and should need to be manually applied by you.  Have you see changes to the template that were automatically applied, or are you referrring to the program changes, like the removal of the setting for shadows mentioned above?

Drew
Photo of S

S

Both
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok.  I will check into that as well.

Drew
Photo of S

S

Hey Drew -

Some additional notes on the mobile portion of this question (#3 in top post). When I contacted the track/monitor company I work with, they said the code would have to be 'reinstalled on the mobile site' - which of course, I was confused as to why it was removed or changed since it had worked for several months (coding in on the desktop and reported all mobile activity). I just received my monthly reports from them and noticed they reference the 'bigcommerce' URL in my report now (the same for May 1st which is April's stat summary - unfortunately, I cannot find the April 1st report - for March summary, but do have March 1st for Feb summary - which was the 'store.mydomain.com' url.

I share this because something has occurred/changed during this period referenced. When the BC rep made a change in the mobile site for me back in Jan/Feb, he also removed the 'powered by BC' for me - and that is also back. I really want this removed (as it was already done).

I really do not know why the 'bigcommerce' URL keeps coming up (as now in my reports) - this NEVER happened in ProStores. Love to know if you have any insight but I am absolutely not happy about advertising any company that has not really earned that praise particularly since this transition and subsequent changes keep taking a toll on my business ranking (including the image url issue).

As always, thanks for your help/insight.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Unfortunately I can't tell you what Bigcommerce may or may not have done, but you can customize the mobile theme and remove the panel %%Global_PoweredBy%%.

I can't tell you why the Bigcommerce URL is coming up in the tracking, other than if they are seeing the items being served from the CDN.  I don't see how Bigcommerce would influence the tracking company.  Maybe the fact that the tracking code was removed caused the tracking company to pick it up.

Drew

Photo of S

S

With all due respect Drew, how many times can we make changes to this website only to have them 'undone'?

When I spoke with the Rep early this year (when we had support), he told me the issue that occurred was 'an unexpected consequence' to some other update BC did and he kindly corrected everything. So all that was nothing but a waste of his time and mine.

'Unexpected Changes' has happened more than I can count since this transition. How our we supposed to monitor that?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Sally, we realize various changes and updates can be frustrating.  Unfortunately when you are working with off-the-shelf hosting software, these companies will continuously make changes that they feel are in the best interest of the majority of their customers. Obviously there will be changes that some people find undesirable.  The only sure solution for something like this is to literally have your own site built from scratch by yourself or your own designer so that you have full control over any changes that are made.

Mike
Photo of S

S

I am well aware (and congratulate) companies that continually improve their products, service and the experience of their customers.

So I am a bit confused....are you saying if I had a designer, BC would have advised them of the changes and removal of code?
Photo of S

S

Additional note on your comment "Obviously there will be changes that some people find undesirable."

Homestead and BC cannot possibly think it is desirable to have BC Social Buttons/Links on our sites (which people just assume are our links)?

So here is another question - I went in to download those mobile templates only to see "revert last update'"....and the question remains 'what was the update and when? Do I 'revert' and what am I reverting?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Sally,

The social buttons have BC's social sites on there as a default, but you may update the links to your own and choose which networks to display.  BC simply displays there own to demonstrate the functionality.

I am looking more into this, but as noted before, since not all the templates have release notes, I am not able tell you what changed in the the template or what you would then be reverting to.

I am trying to find out if future changes to templates will be documented or if that will be for newer templates only.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi again Sally,

Bigcommerce has advised me that while switching to a new template will overwrite customizations, applying theme updates and reverting theme updates will not.

As a rule, my strongest recommendation is to backup your data prior to applying any theme changes at all.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of S

S

Hey Drew -

Thanks for the updates (and link to backup data info - great reminder to put that on a schedule).

:) ...very diplomatic on the social buttons; not buying into the fact they were 'live' (who knows for how long - in all honesty, that was pretty sleazy).

I did get the mobile templates downloaded, updated and uploaded - that was quite a learning experience since I haven't worked with that process and was actually quite simple once understood....oh, everything is still working,,,that's a good thing...lol

Have a great weekend,
Sally
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Sally.  I am happy to hear it.

You have a good weekend too!

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.