As Google Sees It, Deleted Pages/URLs (are still) Linking from My Site

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Why, or just exactly how is it that my XML Sitemap, (which I created at http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/), is conveying URLs (to Google) of pages that I deleted from my site before creating this Sitemap? More specifically, when I investigate "crawl errors" using Google Webmaster Tools, I find URLs THAT ARE LINKED FROM MY SITE, (and not from other domains), which are NOT in my file manager- because I deleted those pages. It's understandable that a page that I deleted could still be linking from another domain- but how is a deleted page linking FROM my domain??

Also, I have noticed that when a "site preview" is executed along with publishing a page, images on my master-page from an EARLIER version of my site show in the preview, whereas my published site shows current master-page images.

How long does it take Homestead's servers- or do they ever really- eradicate pages or images that I have deleted from my site?
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

• 784 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The pages are deleted immediately when you delete the pages. It sounds like there are two issues though. You need to clear the cookies & cache in your web browser. Also, Google still has some of the old pages indexed. Even though you may have updated your sitemap we can't force google to immediately drop those old pages. After Google crawls your site again, they will likely pick up the new site map and index any new/existing pages.  If Google still has old pages indexed they will drop them eventually. If you have old content and it's critical that Google drops the pages from the search results, you can make a request direct too Google.  Visit this page for more info: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/164734?hl=en

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.