How do I create an anchor link from one page to another, instead of the same page?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

how do I link text from my index page to a specific spot on another page?
I have an anchor link already established in the proper area but I am having trouble linking the text on my index page to that anchor link
Photo of Renee1678

Renee1678

• 466 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,718 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hello Renee1678,

Unfortunately the anchor link option in SiteBuilder only links to specific locations of the same page. To create anchor links form one page to another, you would have to write the code manually.

Mike
Photo of Renee1678

Renee1678

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info; however, in the old SiteBuilder we used to create our current website, we are able to link from one page to an anchor link on a separate page.

Example: The links at the bottom of index page on our website (http://bevhat.com/), Shipping Policy, Copyright Notice etc. link to an anchor link on a separate page.

We are now creating a new website using a new template on SiteBuilder Plus. Why is that not a feature on the SiteBuilder Plus? It seems like a step backwards...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Renee1678,

Basically what you did on your site was create the anchor link using the anchor link element on one page. Then you manually created the links to the anchor link URL by using the standard link function. This is an excellent work-around, and I think I'll post instructions for others that wish to do this as it accomplishes the same exact thing. Thank you very much for sharing your example!!!!

Mike
Photo of Renee1678

Renee1678

Mike,
Are you going to post instructions on how we can implement this work-around in the latest SiteBuilder Plus? I haven't seen it and I need to create and link this anchor links.

Thanks,
Renee
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
First, you will create a normal anchor link, on the page which you want to direct the visitors to. So, you'll complete the steps in this thread:

https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Once you have the anchor link created, you'll need to publish that page as you'll have to get the url from the live web page which I'll show below.

1. After you publish the page with the anchor link, pull up the live website in a new browser window. You'll need to click on the link that you just created so that it moves you down the screen to where the anchor was placed. In my example I created a page named "page 6". Notice the URL highlighted in yellow

2. After you click on the link that takes you to the anchor, you'll see the URL change to reflect the anchor link.

3. Next return to SiteBuilder (or SiteBuilder Plus). In my example I created "page 5". You can either use a link in your navigation menu, or, just add a text box to the page. When you get to the Link dialogue box, you will click the 2nd radio button titled "URL (Web Address)".

4. Next you will return to the window which has your live website opened and copy the entire URL

5 Return to the SiteBuilder link box and paste the URL as shown. Make sure you capture the full URL containing the added link info at the end.

6. Click OK, and publish the page. You will know have a link from one page to an anchor on different page.

I hope this helps!
Photo of Doug9376

Doug9376

• 716 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Display webpage at certain point on page, not at the top of page.....

I'm building my website with pictures of products.

If a prospective user clicks on a product, the detailed product page is displayed.

When the user "returns" to the main product page, I would like them to return to the area of the product page that they left from, NOT be returned to the TOP of the page.

Is this possible??

Thanks.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

What you are describing is known as "anchor links". If you follow the steps above you can link to specific locations on other pages.

As an alternative, if you are selling numerous products, you would save yourself much time and work by using an appropriate ecommerce plan. If you want information on our SimpleStore or Storefront let us know.

Mike
Photo of joanngallant7224

joanngallant7224

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Links.

Can i link a word on one page to a word on another and how is that done
Photo of Carl Harrington Sr.

Carl Harrington Sr.

• 638 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Since we are on the topic of anchor links. Can you tell me how I can rename them in Site Builder plus? I was able to do it on my PC edition but now that I do it on line, I have not found a way.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

It depends on what exactly you are linking. If you are creating anchor links on the main navigation menu, you can rename those by following the steps here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Pay close attention to Step 3. You'll change the "Display Name"

Mike

Carl Harrington Sr.

Thanks but, that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is "Anchor links" you know, if there is a linked title within the text at the top of the page that is linked to another place on that page? You would then click on the linked word and the page automatically scrolls down to that point. I used to be able to rename them and instead of trying to guess where I need to move lets say,(anchor link 11) when my list or page expands over time I would be able to move them because they had the same name as the point on the page. I hope that I explained that a little better.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, this is not currently available in Plus.

Carl Harrington Sr.

Thanks Drew. Will this option be included in future updates? It seems like site builders is lagging behind the competition. However, I will remain optimistic.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I honestly can't say. We did stagnate a bit under Intuit. We are nearly done migrating away from them. Once done we can get back to making improvements.
Photo of Mary0380

Mary0380

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The first suggestion at the top worked perfectly. Thank you!
Photo of Matt B.

Matt B.

• 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Great,

Thank you for the update!

Matt

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.