Alternatives to Sitebuilder

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

I have been with Homestead since early 2010. I manage 2 websites. Aside from some sporadic email issues, I've been pretty happy with the whole arrangement. I have been considering moving away and to another host for the sake of making my sites look more dynamic and so that I can take advantage of design options like drop down menus. I feel like my sites are too busy and I'd like the drop down option and without having to do any coding at all.

I was in a conversation a couple of months back when someone (a wise person whose name I cannot recall) said that I should stop thinking of Homestead as a one stop shop and perhaps consider using another type of software to design my websites. The recommendation was for a Pablo WYSIWYG product. I've read some mixed reviews on that product, which leads me here.

I really do not want to change my hosting. I'm fine with what I get from Homestead in terms of my pricing and I like having email accounts tied to my site which include the name of my site.

I'm interested in any suggestions for WYSIWYG type software I can use to rework my sites - with pull-down menus - and still keep my hosting with Homestead. I've looked at Squarespace but I don't want to start over with a new contract with another company. There are a gazillion reviews out there for what works and what does not.

My hope is that Homestead realizes there are limitations with Sitebuilder and will chime in here to offer some alternative(s) in order to keep my business.

Thanks in advance for any input. I do nonprofit work on my dime so I'm looking for an alternative I can use by dropping a nominal amount of money one time.
Photo of Aubrie4741

Aubrie4741

• 386 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We don't have any 3rd party builders that we recommend but as long as it generates HTML pages you should be able to upload it through the file manager.

There are quite a few menu builders out there that will allow you to generate a drop down menu graphically and then they provide the code to you. You would just need to copy/paste the code they give you.
Photo of Gary4912

Gary4912

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have used http://www.comslider.com/ for scrolling photos om a couple of my sites. Lots of customization features.
http://www.mypanamaconnection.com/

Photo of Michelle J9241

Michelle J9241

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I feel the same as Aubrie4741, My site too has become unwieldy and items difficult to find due the lack of drop down menus. I am attempting to learn more about HTML but need to consider migrating as well. Fortunately I can begin one Website while still with Homestead.

I have enjoyed Homestead's service and ease of use, for the most part but it's getting to the point that people can't find items easily on my site without me somehow providing more information/links on the Home Page. The HP becomes cluttered and messy looking which can turn people off but at this point I don't seem to have a choice, at least for now.

Michelle

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.