ALL Text Links Auto-Underline. Why?

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving

Currently the only way for links not to be underlined is if it is in a navigation menu. Text that is in the body underlines automatically in Sitebuilder desktop.

It is not necessary to have text links underline automatically. There are other ways to show that the link is there without is being underlined. Underlined links create an eye sore for people who are trying to design.

It would make more sense for users to have an option to underline the linked text is they wish for it to be rather than having it do so automatically.
Photo of Dean

Dean

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Stacy

Stacy

• 374 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree with Dean. I would also like to add a question to this thread. Why can I not change the color of the text link? It just shows as white and I can not change it.
Photo of Dean

Dean

Stacy,
If you are using the Desktop Version of Sitebuilder (Which I use) you change the color of the text link by changing the color scheme of it on the page properties.

(It may be the same with the Sitebuilder Online also) I use the Desktop Version.

Changing the color of TEXT links: (only)

Simply,
1) Click anywhere on the page without highlighting an "Element".
Example: Outside of your template, but still in the screen.

2) It will pull up the page properties for that particular page. You will see the "page properties" for the page.

3) If it is not selected click the "Basics" tab. Change the color of links by selecting the color you want beside “Link Color" and "Visited Link Color"

Notes: Link color is the color visitors will see just looking at the links on your page. "Visited Link Color" is the color they will see only after they view a page. (Click the link)

- Change both options to the same colors if you want your visitors to see the same color no matter what.

I hope this helps.
Photo of Stacy

Stacy

Dean, thanks for the reply. I have sitebuilder, and I don't think it has the same functions as Desktop. I can't seem to do what you are saying. Sigh, I used to have Desktop then one day it was gone. I miss some of the functions of Desktop.
Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

• 15,316 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stacy! No worries, in Sitebuilder Plus, you can access your page link colors by going to Page Settings > Background, Links, Footer

You'll be able to change the Visited and non visited link colors from there.

Hope that helps!
Photo of Pam8248

Pam8248

• 62 Points
page link colors doesn't apply because there will still be a "line" under the "link" selection.
Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

Official Response
HI Dean -

Thanks for bringing this up! While there isn't a setting in Sitebuilder that can remove the underlines in your text links, there is a workaround for you! You'd have to add HTML code, but hopefully this will work for you.

In Sitebuilder Plus, Click Page Settings in the top toolbar and select Advanced Settings. Add the following code into the head tag HTML:

(Note: In Sitebuilder Desktop, click on Page Properties > Advanced)

<style type="text/css">
a {font-family : Garamond; Font-size : 14px; text-decoration : none}
a:link {color : #8F826F}
a:visited {color : #8F826F}
a:active {color : #8F826F}
a:hover {color : #8F826F}
</style>

You'll want to revise the above code to the same font style, size, and color as your website layout.

Hope that helps!
Photo of Dean

Dean

Hi Aubrey,

I have almost 100 pages on my site.
I think the reason for signing up to Homestead was so things would be automated. Homestead markets to people who have no HTML experience.

Offering HTML suggestions works great as a short term solution, but the point of this thread was to make you guys aware of the problem and to hopefully have it included in the software in the future.

Thanks for the reply.
Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

Agreed! I definitely think we should offer this as an option in Sitebuilder. Thanks for adding it to this community!
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I appreciated the HTML code.. thank you

Photo of Mel5402

Mel5402

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
One way to get around this in desktop sitebuilder: create a button (found under the Design and Links tab) and set the button to your background color with zero bevel. It's not foolproof, but is better than tacky underlines on every link. I like the alt text option as well. Setting alt text to link destination gives an extra heads up to the user on the purpose of the link and lets them know exactly what will happen when they click on the link. I absolutely agree that sitebuilder should add more options to links but this is a (tedious but workable) get-around.
Photo of Stacy

Stacy

Thanks for the tips Mel5402!
Photo of Helena9637

Helena9637

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm having exactly the same issue. Very frustrating. All in all, the options and features that the sitebuilder offers are pretty good, but it could be made so much better! I know Rome wasn't built in a day but little things like this, although minor, make a huge difference!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am sorry to say that the standard for the Internet is to underline links for easy identification.  We are not planning to change this at this time. This decision may be reconsidered at a later date.  In the mean time, you can use Aubrey's code above to remove the underlines that way.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Office Manager

Office Manager

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I wish you would change this immediately.  I disagree whole heartedly that "the standard for the Internet is to underline links for easy identification."  It makes the page look busy and it's distracting.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Office Manager

Thanks for sharing.  I agree and really like some sites that have no underlines, but the default has been to underline text that is linked.  Any site that doesn't will have that code provided above.  If you add it as instructed it will remove the underlines for you.

By posting here you are added as someone that wants more control of the links built into Sitebuilder.  The more we have, the more likely it will get done.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of M.8320

M.8320

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree that it would be good to give an option to users. When there are too many links that are underlined, it makes the material difficult to read.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Thanks for the comments.  For now, you can use the code as described above and the underlines will go away.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Office Manager

Office Manager

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
As someone posted above, Homestead is supposed to be for those that don't know (or don't want to bother with) HTML code.  All the underlined links make the page look messy.  I really wish this feature would be fixed.
(Edited)
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Well the code worked like a dream but have just noticed a weird side effect. The footer, designed by etc etc is ok but the "build a website" message is now a very large font and I cannot change it?.. Not unhappy for Homestead to have a plug but would prefer it to go back to normal size
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You have the font size set to 18 in the header for the links. You can change that number to 10, which seems to be about what all your text is.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

HI  Drew, thanks for the prompt response. I did check edit footer in page settings and its was set at 10.The display there was OK but once back on the main page the copyright made by Homesecuritysurveys etc are all 10 but the "build" a website" was much much larger. Its not a worry as I can just remove the copyright completely but homestead have done me proud over the years and I had no objection to their advertising link.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I meant in the code that you placed for removing the underline. You see the font-size attribute? You can remove that or change the 18px to 10px

<style type="text/css">
a {font-family : Arial; Font-size : 18px; text-decoration : none}
a:link {color : #FFFFFF}
a:visited {color : #FFFFFF}
a:active {color : #E8E113}
a:hover {color : #E8E113}
</style>
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Dho that was a rookie mistake. I changed the link colours etc in the code but didn't think to change pix size..Thank you Drew,,, again,,,  a suitably embarrassed website builder
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

No worries. I miss stuff all the time. :)
Photo of tyler2609

tyler2609

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled hyperlink.

removing underline

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.