Why Won't my Email address auto-fill?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

My email addresses were imported however, when you begin to compose a message and begin entering a name in the "to" field the look up to the address book does not work as it did before! Is this going to be corrected??

Camille
Photo of camille0482

camille0482

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sorry, the auto-fill feature works differently and I don't know of any plans to change that. If you depend on that feature, you may want to configure an email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird.

Mike
Photo of camille0482

camille0482

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is a lousy "solution" ... the first and last names are there with each contact entry, however when you open the address book from within the composition of a new message there are no first and last names listed only email addresses. This is kind of crazy - how are you supposed to know everyone's email address - you need to see the first and last name along with the email address. This is not a nice to have - it is a have to have! Please take another look at this and let me know.
camille
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for further explaining that. I do see what you mean, and yes that makes it difficult to find addresses especially if you have a large number of contacts. I'm going to do some research on this.

Mike
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
Hi camille0482, I found that there has to be information entered into the "Display Name" field for each contact. See below.

Photo of Anil7479

Anil7479

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
None of my contacts transferred after the upgrade, and of course autocomplete doesn't work. Personally without this I'd rather have zimbra. What is the solution?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The only fix for the auto-complete is to complete the display name field as shown above. Can you tell me which email address(s) the contacts did not transfer on , and we'll re-migrate those?

Mike
Photo of Rita9807

Rita9807

• 256 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your reply. Hope you are able to stay sane with all our questions coming at you!
None of my contacts made it over. Also am continuing to get "error message" on my screen. Sometimes it appears soon after logging on, sometimes after I have been working awhile.
Photo of Rita9807

Rita9807

What is autofill? and how do I try to get my address book transferred or found
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Autofill is when you have a saved contact and you begin to type their name or email address. The system will watch as you type and make suggestions from your address book as to who you are trying to email.

Did you find your contacts?

Drew
Photo of Rita9807

Rita9807

Alas, no contacts. What should I try next? Rita
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I can try to run the contacts again, but it will erase any contacts and calendar items you have added in the new platform. Shall I try?
Photo of Rita9807

Rita9807

Yes, please. I have not added any new contacts as yet. Thank you Rita
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It's running now. It might take an hour. Let me know.

Drew
Photo of Rita9807

Rita9807

Contacts are there!! Thank you very much. The new format will take some getting used to, but nothing stays the same, right? Rita
Photo of David2897

David2897

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Neverending login and impossible autofill in e-mail.

The new mail system is a big problem for me. It has the bizarre requirement that you know everyone's e-mail address or it won't autofill the To: field This is like saying you have to remember everyone's phone number in your mobile, or it won't bring up that name. And searching doesn't work either. You still have to know the e-mail address before it looks up the e-mail address. Truly pointless.
The other aggravation is session ending. I have to log in 10-12 times a day. And unless the dialog box is there, it won't even let me log in. I have to open another tab and use a bookmark to go back to the login page. This is just crazy.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

As for the timeout, we have some reports of this and are investigating.

Drew
Photo of David2897

David2897

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
OK, so I'm manually re-entering all the names one by one, and so far, I've been timed out four times in 15 minutes, have to close the edit contact window, log in and start over at e-mail. I've made it to letter C. This is going to take all night.
This is not an improved system.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We are working on the timeout, and are sorry for this.

Drew
Photo of Kurt2387

Kurt2387

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Autofill.

So I have to update 650 contacts and give them all display names? Thats not going to work for me. You need to change the way the auto fill works ASAP
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

There are several updates and enhancements that will likely come later this year, but the auto-fill function is simply not programed to work the same way as in the old system. I understand this can be very frustrating if you have a lot of addresses but the only resolution at this time is to complete the "display name" field.

Mike
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

• 3,278 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Everyone seems to like the old system better. Was it just not available to purchase when the site changed owners? I do not understand why you are working so hard to fix a substitute that does not work as well as the original.
Photo of Nora

Nora

• 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
search function in email.

On the old system, if I searched for a name or email address or whatever the system would search all folders at once. Now it seems, that if I use the search function the system will only search the folder that is currently open. Is there anyway to do an all folder search in emails?
Photo of Nora

Nora

why was my question merged into a different topic? I am not asking about autofill in the email address line. I am asking about the search function.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry for the confusion. I'm sorry but, no, the search tool is folder specific it won't search all folders.

Mike
Photo of Nora

Nora

That's too bad. Maybe that will be upgraded at some point?
Photo of John6126

John6126

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
can not see names of my contacts when I am trying to send an emai, only email addresses..

When i am trying to send a new email, i click the new email icon, then the to the contact list shows up, with column for email and names. The emails show under the email column but there are NO NAMES showing in the name column.

the names ARE there because if you go into contacts they show.
When I go from contacts to create the email, choose a contact to add it to the TO line ,it does not show the name either, just the email. I need to see the names!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.