ADA COMPLIANCE

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 7 days of inactivity

We need easy to use or automatic formatting to comply with ADA accessibility. Will Homestead add these tools or automatically make them a part of every website? Case in point, a blind man sued and won against Dominoes pizza for not being able to use the site nor the mobile app to order a pizza using his reading software. Here is the link  As a small insurance company I don't have the resources to deal with such a suit. The WAVE web accessibility  found  40 issues with my home page alone that are concerning. 
Photo of JAMES8742

JAMES8742

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused and unsure what to do next

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 37,312 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello James,

I do understand the concern but unfortunately Homestead is not automatically nor has made any plans to become automatically ADA compliant. I know some of our customers had the same concerns are were able to use an ADA compliant checklist and made the necessary adjustments to become ADA complaint. It is definitely possible, just may take a bit more footwork than anticipated, I do apologize 
Photo of JAMES8742

JAMES8742

Thank you Michelle. As a small business owner I do hope that homestead will in the near future address this. I like the freedom of working with my own site and the ease of use  even though I am not a web developer.  

Take Care, 
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

Understandable, I will definitely send some feedback. Thank you!
Photo of steve4468

steve4468

• 3,644 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I'm sure the most important thing to you at this time is to address the red flags first. I'll be working on the yellow flags this weekend.

This is what I did to address the red flags.

I removed the homestead navigation menu and replaced site navigation with text links. I had no way to add any alt-text to the homestead menu. The homestead navigation menu was responsible for 8-10 red flags. 

I added alt-text descriptions to all images, borders, buttons, etc. Adding descriptions to these items removed 7 red flags

I made sure the contrast between any text and background was acceptable to the WAVE tool. This removed 1 red flag.

Even after doing this I still have 1 red flag showing for a tiny (1 x 1 pixel) image for tracking/stats on the site. I contacted Michelle C about adding an alt-text description to this image and she stated that she couldn't find the image. I have a feeling it's part of the programs software or part of the tracking/stats software. Either way I'm not going to worry about it as responsibility would seem to fall on homestead as the end user has no access to add an alt-text description to it.

If you look at the bottom of the WAVE page with your site on it you'll see a small graphic labeled CODE. If you click on that it will bring up your sites coding along with the flags pertaining to the different elements. The 1 x 1 pixel image doesn't show in the coding.

Be sure to add an ADA compliance policy page AFTER you've made the changes. They're fairly easy to find online so you'll have something to model yours after. Basically my ADA page states that I've made changes to the site, that I'm still making improvements and  that I invite any visitors with problems to contact me directly so I can address the issue.

On a side-note. I've recently read that google will be giving ADA compliant sites a bump in search results over non-compliant sites.

Good luck.
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

Thank you so much for sharing. 
Photo of steve4468

steve4468

I forgot to include that you need to declare a language for your website to help screen-readers. Declaring a language removed 1 red flag.

I added   <html lang="en-US">   to the head section on all pages. A google search of the script will explain in more detail. 
Photo of JAMES8742

JAMES8742

Thank you Steve for all your help! I will work on the ADA page in the next few days and  make the changes you suggest.  Take care.
Photo of steve4468

steve4468

I hope it helps. Please let the community here know how it works out.

If I could make a small suggestion. Save your existing index/home page as something like   index-worker.  Make your changes on the index-worker page, publish so you can see the index-worker page then use the WAVE tool. That way you won't be changing the real index page if my suggestions don't work out and give you the results you want. If they do work out properly it's simple to save the index-worker page as index.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.