Accented characters not allowed in file names is a recurrent problem and pain in the butt

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

File names do not accept accented characters.  Everytime I upload a file that containts an accented character (lots of accented characters in french) Sitebuilder Plus returns an error.  I have then to rename my file to remove the accented character.  That is a problem because I end up with different versions of the same file.  For some unknown reasons, Homestead is the only software that I know that has this problem. Can you fix that please?
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

• 1,596 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Andre,  I cannot offer a resolution but am interested... does Microsoft Windows accept accented file names in French..? I have always had problems saving files with characters.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am sorry, but this is not likely to change. Spaces and special characters can cause issues on the internet and make pages behave erratically. Our developers work and test exclusively in English. I am assuming that the accents are being considered a special character. I have relayed your comments to the development team, just in case.
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

Thanks.  However, I know that french characters are and have always been accepted in File names under Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP and 98. Special characters such as /\:*!?><| are not accepted.   Accented characters such as àâèêîïôùû are not considered special characters and should be allowed because Windows accepts them for File names.  French users like me would appreciate!  Thanks
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Windows can accept more complicated file names than the Internet likes. I have passed your request on to the developers, but I am not giving it a great chance, but maybe we will get lucky.
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

Thanks Drew, I appreciate.  André

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.