301 redirect /This might affect all current Homestead Customers with .homestead.com sites without attached domain/

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

301/permanent/ redirect would be essential if I create a new version of my current (old) homestead.com site. Since there is no domain attached to it, it only relies on "homstead.com" url address. Well the new replacement site relies on "homsteadcloud.com" url address. In this way I (or any other homestead customer) would of course lose any rankings currently having on "homstead.com" url address - unless setting up 301 redirect, or create a meta redirect in the HEAD with a 5-10 sec delay  (which is not really good from SEO point of view so I would stick with 301). 

Of course we are not forced to do new versions of our sites, but as Gordon Ramsay would say: Evolve or die :) Even DudaMobile allows to set up 301 redirects - just saying. For all homestead users this is very important, and surely not everyone aware of the problem. Drew, any solution to this? Is it possible to upload a .htaccess file somehow for this purpoes? Would appreciate your reply, Thank You!
Photo of Attila2920

Attila2920

• 1,244 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, there is no way to upload an .htaccess file. IIS servers do not use this. The way people normally do this is via an HTML redirect in the header, but with no delay at all. This is the best option available.
Photo of david2953

david2953

• 6,996 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Drew...can you explain the steps to do as you are suggesting?  Am I to understand that anyone converting from an existing Homestead site to a new responsive site needs to do this to retain their Google position?  When you talk about redirect are you referring to the redirect process as shown below?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

No David. If you have a domain name, there is no problem. This question concerns sites using the xxxxxxxx.homestead.com address. If Google has ranked a site based on that, then you would have an issue switching to xxxxxxxx.homesteadcloud.com as the URL is different. If you are using a domain name, that is how your site is ranked and Google will understand the change.
Photo of Attila2920

Attila2920

Drew, I can not seem to find the above mentioned (by David) "Configure Site Redirects" in the new builder. Where is it? Thank You!
Photo of david2953

david2953

It's located under the "Manage Tab" at the bottom of the left side tool bar.  Make sure your browser window is fully opened, otherwise the Manage Gear/icon will not show.

(Edited)
Photo of Attila2920

Attila2920

Thank You David, I found it! My screen resolution hid this part, so I had to zoom out to see the manager icon...I think I would not figured it out alone for a week :) so Thank You for the full screen tip!
Photo of david2953

david2953

Glad to help...it had me stumped for awhile as well.  Those bottom two icons keep doing a disappearing act every time you minimize the screen.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I may have misunderstood what was happening here. So, I have not played with those redirects, but I believe that they are for old pages on the new websitebuilder site. I believe that these redirects are only for if you delete a page on this site and what to redirect it from here to another page or URL.

While I can convert a site to xxxxxxxxx.homestead.com, I can't do that for an existing Websitebuilder site. If I convert it, then the site has to be created and edited with Sitebuilder. The two builders are completely incompatible and the website files are stored on different servers, so if you want Sitebuilder you must have a xxxx.homestead.com address. If you want Websitebuilder, then you will have a xxxxx.homesteadcloud.com address.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.