"404 Error" Site Dis-association, WebBuilder

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Something to be aware of: I found this morning one of my sites, a new WebBuilder template associated with a long term, stable domain, since the beginning of December, was simply was dead.   404 error.  I found that I had to re-associate the domain with the built website again, then its working, at least right now. Who knows for how long it was a dead end.  No reason why it fell off.  I talked to one of my buddies that also uses Homestead, and same thing just happened, it turns out one of his primary sites was also 404.  Surprise !

Injury to insult, Google Adwords has been charging me to send people to my 404 Error site.

I am now running a website monitoring service to make sure these domains are actually hitting the websites I've built, you might want to do the same thing.  Scary times....   
Photo of Tom9124

Tom9124

• 522 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The new builder is designed for 1 domain. We can make additional domains work, but there should only be 1 domain associated to the Websitebuilder site. Do any of these sites have more than 1 domain?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Drew you know I can be a little slow on the uptake so could you qualify that for me please? Do you mean that we can only use the new builder for one site? And then presumably we would have to pay extra to switch additional sites to it?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

No Susan. The account packages allow the same things for the new builder as the old, so with a Gold package, you may make all the sites you please on one account. The system is designed to only allow the use of 1 domain per site. If you want to use more than one domain, we can make those work with a little trick. The only additional charge would be the same as always, just the cost of the additional domains.

Does that make sense?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes indeedy. Thank you.
Photo of Tom9124

Tom9124

• 522 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
OP Here: No, one domain and one website.  It should never happen that association between the two simply breaks and has to be reset.  Personally, I think Homestead has a bad server, and I say that because I run diagnostics against my sites with 3rd party tools.  Sometimes I get failures to fetch, long delays and a variety of odd little responses that suggest to me there is a server problem on your end. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We have monitoring tools inside our server farms that monitor for issues within our servers. Currently there are no reports, but there are many other things that can cause your monitoring tools to have a problem, such as a regional communications issue. I also have 3rd party tools that monitor sites I have on Homestead and have had no such reports.

I will however report this to engineering for them to take a look. You are absolutely correct that the domain association should not drop, but that is a known issue. I have not seen it happen more than once to any domain, so I believe you should be ok now. Developers are working on that now. If you see the association fail again, please let us know right away, but I do not believe it will happen again.
Photo of Jennifer3538

Jennifer3538

• 1,832 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ok, I have several domains that need to point to one site. Can you take a look and fix this? I wasn't aware that this was a problem and published. Then went ahead and reassociated my domains accordingly. Now only one of them is working and none of the rest are. We had several domain names for different products we sell.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We have responded to you in the other topic. Please reply there Jennifer

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.