emily5008's profile

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Fri, Apr 2, 2021 9:56 PM

Sorry to say this, and perhaps I am missing something, but so far, I DETEST the new Website Builder!

I have several sites with your company, and have really LOVED how easy it was to add content, add photos, adjust everything, etc. The new Website Builder is EXTREMELY difficult for me to use. The pop-ups that are there, when trying to adjust content, are in the way of anything and everything I attempt to do. 

What USED to take me a few minutes to accomplish, has taken me hours! 

Why can we not simply copy all of the information on each page, by right clicking on each page of our published sites - going to "Inspect" which opens in another page, and copying that and pasting it into an Element with html????

One of my sites is extensive - none of them are just one page, and I find the new Website Builder tedious and very hard to deal with. 

Really, Homestead, for a company that had such excellent programs before, this is maddening. 

Am I alone, here, or are others having the same trouble?

Responses

30 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

12 d ago

Emily, I do agree with you, the previous Sitebuilder was by far the simplest and easiest platform on Windows 7 to use, I have had dozens of sites over the last few years when teaching online and all were simple to maintain and update. And the students were not overwhelmed with extraneous unnecessary information, only what they needed for their studies.

Fancy bells and whistles did not impress me, as they say use the KISS principle, keep it simple and straighforward. Best of luck, Barrie Morgan 

Whenever I checked into other softwares, Sitebuilder always came out the best and it has served me very well.

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Thank you, barrie1596. I have hosted my sites for many years on Homestead. Cannot use the new WebsiteBuilder with ease, at all. It should be as simple as copying the code from each page, and inserting it into the new program they have given us, but I am unable to find a way to do that. 

Am extremely frustrated, as I have several sites with them, with LOTS of pages! If anyone can tell me what I'm missing, please do, as it has taken me hours just to do the top 1/3 of the index page on ONE of my sites.

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

I find it frustrating also. Not user friendly. Loved Sitebuilder Desktop that I used starting in 2002. Then because of some glitch, it was no longer working. Not a happy camper.

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

ronald4765 - I worked again, off and on, for HOURS on the new Website Builder. It is just - simply - NOT user friendly. While trying to do ANYTHING, the pop-up obscures my text, the element above it, etc. Have to constantly re-code the color that I use for my text, and cannot easily add borders I like, etc. 

I have several sites with Homestead, and the thought of redoing ALL of them with the new Website Builder is beyond daunting. 

Wish Homestead would LISTEN!!!!

IF, we could simply choose a template, delete all of the sections, and then copy the source code from each of our existing websites pages INTO the new blank pages, it would be a "piece of cake". 

If there is a way to do that, would someone please tell me?

Brand User

821 Messages

• 

52.3K Points

@ronald4765 You also are only using Sitebuilder/Sitebuilder Plus on your account. You have no new websites with WesbiteBuilder, which is the platform Emily is talking about. 
I am sorry that the downloadable version is no longer working on your end, but unfortunately, it is a very old builder and no longer compatible with most newer operating systems. Let me know if you have any questions about using Sitebuilder Plus. 

28 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

I switched to WebsiteBuilder a couple of years ago. Never looked back. I find it brilliant and easier to use than SiteBuilder which looked amateur and awful in mobile mode. If you have been using the old SiteBuilder I can understand your frustration. I hope you try the WebsiteBuilder. Takes a bit of time to copy and paste all the content but well worth it. Good luck!

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

11 d ago

I have not been able to do anything since the change. I'm really tired of homestead and I'm about ready to find something that is much easier to use. Can't download the new software and I've tried to do everything per the instructions and nothing works. LOVED the Sitebuilder Desktop version. SO easy. This new stuff is garbage. Homestead should just trash it and go back to the EASY way.

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

paul3741 - I agree with you, completely. Homestead is not the least expensive of the hosting companies, but I have been with them for years, and loved the desktop download version, and was comfortable with the SiteBuilder Plus. 

This NEW, "improved" version is making me take a good hard look at other hosting sites, as I am not in a position to take the time to rebuild - from scratch - every one of my sites, with LOTS of pages. 

Would someone from Homestead PLEASE respond to our concerns? Is there not a way to copy and paste code from our web page's source code? 

We just paid our annual fees for Homestead's hosting. I'd like to stay, BUT, when I called, I was told they could rebuild one of my sites - only 5 pages of it, for roughly $1,500. I did all the sites, myself, and I am going to pay that much money for 5 pages of ONE site? 

Brand User

821 Messages

• 

52.3K Points

10 d ago

Hello there, 

I am sorry to hear that you don't like the new WebsiteBuilder. The majority of the response that we've gotten from it has been positive, but we definitely understand that not everyone is going to feel the same way. I am curious what device you're using when editing your site? I have not really heard others experiencing the same issue as you, with the pop-up menu blocking your way. I am wondering if the screen on the device you're using is perhaps smaller than a normal laptop or desktop screen, which may contribute to that issue. 

As to your other question, no there is not a way to paste code from a different website into the new builder to "copy" the website. That may seem like a simple and easy solution now, but the majority of our customers are not professional coders, so they would never be able to update their website once they pasted the code in. Lastly, the websites in the older builder are not mobile-friendly, so it wouldn't be compatible to put into the new builder. 

In regard to the pricing for rebuilding your website, that is on the lower end of the scale for pricing on website design, but I understand that it isn't in everyone's budget. We do have a program specifically for people moving to WebsiteBuilder from Sitebuilder Plus who don't want to rebuild it themselves, where we will manually rebuild a carbon copy of your SB+ website into WB for you. If you call 1-800-710-1998 and speak to one of our representatives, they can see if your site would qualify and discuss pricing (which is lower than the price of design)

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

I have been a homestead customer for a great number of years....over 15 I believe. I am not about to pay anyone to reconfigure my site to the new format. I just think it's crazy that I can't do anything as far as updating my site other than text. I don't know if I'm missing something or just not savvy enough to figure it out. I had no problem with the other program. It was really simple. I'm using Win 10 on an HP desktop. The new program comes in a zip file and when I unzip it there is NO INSTALL WIZARD per your instructions. It downloads and I find a file in my computer but when I click on it, nothing happens. FRUSTRATED!!!

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Paul3741 - I am frustrated, right along with you. I have, over the years, spent endless hours designing my websites. I probably have over a million words online, in addition to the sites I have hear. I run a business, too, and am there 6 days a week. 

To those of us who were used to the Sitebuilder that downloaded to our computers, and also SiteBuilder Plus, the new Website Builder is a nightmare, and we should not have to pay someone to "import our sites" into the new tool, or anything. 

They should already BE there! I just paid our annual fee, and now am working "for nothing", trying to get just ONE of my sites in the new tool. HOURS of work, and only part of one page is acceptable to me.

Brand User

821 Messages

• 

52.3K Points

The new builder is not a download at all. I looked at your account, @paul3741 . You are not using WebsiteBuilder, which is the program that Emily is talking about. You're using Sitebuilder Plus, which is still the older builder. The download that you're referring to is an even older version of that platform, which is not compatible with Windows 10. That would be why you are having trouble downloading it.
You can update any part of your website through Sitebuilder Plus, not just text. If you're having troubles with this, you can call and have someone walk you through it 1-800-710-1998

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

@elyzabethv Thank you - I shall call. To your users, many of us who have been here for many years, rebuilding our sites from scratch on Website Builder, is not a viable option. 

Will quote your reply when I call, and perhaps we can find some reasonable solution. My sites are not up there for us to make money - they are informational. The one that WAS for something we used to sell, has been altered by me, so the product is no longer available. 

Hope your idea works. Many folks are not going to want to rebuild sites they have, which are already exactly how they want them. 

Off to call....fingers crossed and praying.

(edited)

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Okay - I called and spoke with three different people - a customer service rep, a supervisor, and a technician. All very courteous, and helpful. I believe we should be able to maintain our standing here on Homestead, and leave all of my sites on your server, as they are going to carbon copy 2 of my sites' - just 5 pages on each - which should greatly enhance my ability to duplicate their efforts. It is affordable, and should accomplish the purpose I intended, without be spending countless hours - weeks, or months - doing it myself. Let's see what happens....

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

10 d ago

Ah, Paul3741 - I apologize - I thought you were using the new Website Builder. Did not understand.

22 Messages

• 

388 Points

8 d ago

I agree!!!!

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

juliamekhanik4266 - Wouldn't you think HOMESTEAD would simply import our content into the new Website Builder? SiteBuilder Plus had all of my content at my fingertips, that I created using the desktop version of the sitebuilder. It was very easy to edit any of my sites, as the original content was right there.

I have LOTS of pages on most of my sites hosted with them. I do not have endless hours to redo everything.

Wish Homestead would realize that many of us run businesses, and have limited time to redo our sites, starting from scratch.

28 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

Hi Emily,

I felt exactly the same as you do. I grumbled and swore when I realised I had to leave my old site builder and use Web Builder. I have to say it was one of the best things I ever did. My website looks fantastic. www.kwaya.org It now feels like I have entered the 21st century.

It didn't take that much time to change. I kept my sitebuilder site active whilst I built the new one. You can take however long you want. I could copy and paste any text from my old site to my new site. It was a good opportunity to really go over what I wanted to keep and throw out. Once you have your new site ready you just point your domain name to the new site. I found it simple.

Web Builder is very intuitive and I was thrilled that my audience could now view my site in a more professional format on mobile phones. Site Builder looked awful and amateurish when viewed on mobile phones.

Anyway, I urge you to give it a go. Once done I think you will be thrilled with the result. If you do, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

Thank you so much for sharing this.