doug9376's profile

27 Messages

• 

936 Points

Wed, Apr 7, 2021 2:25 AM

Question re Website Builder

I've been using Sitebuilder Plus for many years (some days too long!). My company website - www.tusker-international.com - works fine. I very rarely have to update it; however I also use Sitebuilder Plus for my personal travel blog. This has been a royal pain in the arse. As my wife & I travel around I like to "blog" our experiences for our friends and family.

I doesn't matter where we are (or have been), the number of times a page cannot be SAVED or PUBLISHED because of a "network or server" error has been a constant source of frustration.

Today, after trying to PUBLISH a single page 5 times before I achieved success (see the error msg above), I was starting to tear my hair out (again). I thought it was time to look around for "something" better.

For some reason, I stumbled upon Website Builder. I seem to remember an announcement about this new editor a few years ago. Having been in IT all my life (now retired), I knew I was not going to be one of the first to try this new editor; let everone else work out the bugs.

Which brings me to my question: can I move my Blog files from Sitebuilder Plus to Website Builder or do I have to re-create them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Doug

Responses

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

8 d ago

Hello,

Sorry for the experience however the sitebuilder software is a bit outdated. Websitebuilder will perform much better but does require rebuilding. The blogs can easily be transferred by simply copying and pasting the text into the new builder.

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

Text can be copied into the text boxes in WebsiteBuilder. Try using the keyboard shortcuts (ctrl+c) to copy and (ctrl+v) to paste. If you copied text that cannot be pasted, try using a plain text paste (crtl+shift+v).

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

The two software statement only refers to copying the entire website over into the new builder as is. Text can be copied and pasted between the two. 

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

doug9376 - I am totally with you. I have several sites with them, some extensive. I tried for WEEKS to "rebuild". Finally asked them for help, as they can carbon copy your site - just 5 pages, for a fee. Then, you can build on what they did.

Have been doing it for about 14 years, with Homestead, and IMHO, it is not right for them to install a new sitebuilder, without THEM moving our sites into it. Then, we could go from there.

I do all of my own sites, type every word. Now, I will have to rebuild them all. Thankfully, one of their techs is helping with 5 pages of 2 of my sites, but we should not have to rebuild our sites "from the ground up". Not a happy camper.

27 Messages

• 

936 Points

Emily: I couldn't agree more!

If you (Homestead) aren't going to support a product that you offer and that people have used for years (me ~18 years), then at least provide a means to EASILY move their pages to YOUR new software offering. Basic rule of software providers - I think it is called "compatiblity".

I'm still using Word 2003 along with Word 2016 (Word 2003 because I built a customer data base in Excel and use Mail Merge in Word - much easier in 2003 that 2016 - at least on my initial look).

Imagine if Microsoft told their users that their new offering - Word 2021 - was available, but that they would have to re-input ALL of their documents to use it. The hue & cry would be out of this world. I rest my case and my rant is done.

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

doug9376 - I agree. There are a LOT of folks who did their websites with Homestead years ago. I am one of them.

The only reason there ISN'T more "hue and cry" here, is that a lot of those people haven't had a need to change their sites yet, i.e., to add more content or update things.

MANY of us have a LOT of pages on our websites. We have faithfully paid Homestead to host the sites.

As I said before, HOMESTEAD should import our content to the new builder. When the switch was made from the desktop version to SiteBuilder Plus, all of our content was intact.

HOMESTEAD:

PLEASE listen to us. We do not have endless hours to recreate our websites. Our content should be accessible on the new Website Builder, without us having to start from scratch.

The tutorials are fine for those who are just starting their sites, or for those who only have a few pages. They are not helpful to those of us who have several sites with you, with many, many pages.

Whoever is in charge at the top, they need to be told that the new Website Builder basically makes us "indentured servants", who are being told to work without pay to recreate what we ALREADY created;.

66 Messages

• 

3.1K Points

3 d ago

Hi,

Excuse me for interjecting onto this thread, but I noticed that Doug wrote the following:

"I doesn't matter where we are (or have been), the number of times a page cannot be SAVED or PUBLISHED because of a 'network or server' error has been a constant source of frustration.

Today, after trying to PUBLISH a single page 5 times before I achieved success (see the error msg above), I was starting to tear my hair out (again)."

I've been trying to use Sitebuilder Plus after many happy years on Desktop Sitebuilder (which just stopped working for me), and I'm getting the same problems as Doug.  I'm presently using Windows 7, so I thought I might have to purchase a Windows 10 machine.  However, if Doug is using Windows 10 and has the same issues, then I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy a new computer.  (I'm unable to use the newest version of Website Builder due to personal reasons, so for me it's either Desktop Sitebuilder or Sitebuilder Plus.)

Any thoughts in this regard would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

27 Messages

• 

936 Points

@r

Hi!

I typed a reply earlier today on my Android phone - oops, not compatible with Homestead.

Anyway, I have been using Win 10 for a couple of years now. And I continue to have the problem with server/network error. I'd like to call Homestead but I know they will just tell me that Sitebuilder is old and that I should upgrade to Website Builder. Sure, re-create hundreds of pages because I can't simply copy my SB files into WB or push the magic button to have Homestead convert it for me (free of course).

Talk about user friendly! (Rant over)

Doug

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

Hello,

I can try to investigate this error message. Can you please send a screen shot of the error message that you are experiencing? Also, have you tried publishing the page/s from the file manager

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

As you are aware, the builder is outdated and may experience issues which is one of the reasons we released the new mobile-friendly builder and strongly urge our customers to convert for the best experience. It can be worked on on the backend while your current site is still up and does not need to be completed in one session. However, if you can please send in a screenshot of the error you see I can get this investigated and reported. 

27 Messages

• 

936 Points

Michelle: Thanks for your reply. I did not know that I could publish from the File Manager. Any tricks to doing that??

Also in answer to your request for a screenshot of the error message, when I hit the Publish button, SB either starts publishing reasonably quickly the page (the %age is indicated) OR all too frequently just sits there and spins (see top screenshot).

After hitting the "RELOAD" icon, I see the error message. SB doesn't know there's an error until I hit the RELOAD icon which is also frustrating as I never know whether it's working on publishing the file or just wasting my time.

Anyway, I'll take a look at publishing from the File Manager. In the meantime, a resolution to the error message would start my week off right! - THANKS!!

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

You are welcome, thanks for the screenshot. I am working on refreshing the site's pages and files. For these larger sites, publishing from the file manager is the best option. From the file manager, the pages are .xpf files, for example, the home or index page will look like this, index.xpf. Look for these files, click it and click publish. 

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

2 d ago

Why is one of my posts here marked "Private"?

I did not do that.

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

Threads that contain domains, emails, or any other personal information can be marked as private. 

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Well, I don't see anything I posted that has that. Another person put their domain in, but the only one here I can see marked "Private", is mine.

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

Ok, it may have been accidental, if this is causing an issue it can be marked as public.

37 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Thank you. Can you please mark it public? I did see someone here posted their URL, but it wasn't me.

Brand User

5.8K Messages

• 

89.6K Points

No problem. I did see one comment as private but I have changed this setting to public.