bpsmoody017004's profile

20 Messages

• 

452 Points

Fri, Jan 14, 2022 1:25 AM

Linking from files to Website Builder

How do I link images, documents and video files from my computer to my website on Website Builder. At this point, I only know how to link images from other websites. Besides linking from my computer, I would also like to link from Facebook, Twitter, Bing, Google, Word, Excel and other URLs that Website Builder. Is it possible to link such files, and how do I make them linkable? Is there a way to give them legitimate links that the app will recognize? Thanks. I have many photos that I would like to use but have been unable to upload them.

159 Messages

• 

8.1K Points

14 d ago

In order to link files ON your website, you need to put them into your website and let them live there (except for the twitter & facebook things)  The easiest and fastest thing to do is to go to the ELEMENTS toolbar on the left.  Look for FILES. There will be some choices Images, Documents, etc.  If you click on images it will bring up a hierarchy of your website folders.  It is here that you can create folders that will help keep your files orderly.  The little tiny icons across the top of the box will tell you what they do.  So if you were making a picture folder, you would double click on the PICTURES file folder and while that is open, you would use the ADD FOLDER "tiny icon" to make the folder within the folder.  Then you just drag and drop all the photos you want in that folder in the the blank area about 2/3 down in that box where it says drop file here to upload.  Once you have what you want in those folders, you can just "add elements>image" from the tool bar in the actual editing mode.  Pretty much the same thing for documents like excel and word.  The only difference is that you would choose FILES>Documents and do the same thing.  To link to outside sources, pretty much any website or Facebook picture where you have been using the source URL or address, use ELEMENTS>Buttons.  You can put the link in from the little button control panel that pops up when you place a button.  I have not had any issues with long URLs in there at all.  I don't use Twitter, so I don't know if you can snag a specific tweet URL, though.   Hope this helps.

20 Messages

• 

452 Points

@lynn1286​ I'm still quite understanding how to do this. I do not see where it says upload files here. Can you send me screenshots to go with your descriptions? I need to see it to understand completely. Plus, it would help me if your instructions were broken down into small steps. Thanks for continued help.

159 Messages

• 

8.1K Points

I am SO sorry, I gave you instructions for a different platform. Attached are a series of screenshots that should get you where you want to go.  There are supposed to be 10 images here, but the preview is not showing me them all.  IF they are not attached for some reason, just email me and I will send them that way.  picturethismultimedia@comcast.net

20 Messages

• 

452 Points

Huh? This is not Homestead's Website Builder.

Brand User

3.5K Messages

• 

78.4K Points

13 d ago

Hello, 

Here are instructions for adding different types of elements to your website:

WebsiteBuilder: Elements | Homestead Community

WebsiteBuilder: Add Media Files | Homestead Community

WebsiteBuilder: Add an Image | Homestead Community

Now, in regard to linking from Facebook, Twitter, Bing, Google, Word etc, other than actually placing text links on your website, what do you mean by this? Adding images you find on those platforms? You would need to download them to your computer and upload them to the builder like normal. 

20 Messages

• 

452 Points

@elyzabethv​ I am unable to upload images to Website Builder from my computer files. I put some photo files into Elements Documents. I can move a photo to my website and it says Download but the viewer cannot see anything until they they click on it. I want the photo or image to be viewable. All I know how to do is to save a photo from a website (not MaxPreps, Facebook, Twitter or any other websites not recognized by Website Builder) and link it to that website or a parent website. When I try to upload an image under Images, it wants me to choose from files but it just sits in the add images section without downloading. Am I missing something? The video and community helps do not help me because it does not seem to work. Do I have to do something to the images before I can upload them onto Website Builder? I need step-by-step screenshots to understand how to upload images. I do not find this process or explanation to be very user friendly.

159 Messages

• 

8.1K Points

Don't put IMAGES in DOCUMENT files.  When you add an image USE the image uploader that is listed in the Elements toolbar.  Pictures are in a separate file and when placed in the image folder/uploader, that is where you will retrieve them.  I only suggested adding a folder in the Image files because it can get harder to find them later if they aren't in some kind of folder grouped together.  There is not a "search" feature for images in your files.  Try this.....  Open the editor, then go over to the ELEMENTS >add an element>choose IMAGE.  A box will show up with some photos or folders that are part of your theme template.  On the right is UPLOAD IMAGE (or it might be BROWSE) This will open files on your computer to upload.  Just pick one...any one....and then OK/UPLOAD (whatever your operating system says-If it's MAC, it will say "Open")  The picture will appear in that Website Builder file box and will be highlighted.  At the bottom of the file box, you can tell it to place the photo.  When you click on the button, the photo will be there on your webpage.  Everything you mentioned in your previous post can be done here, you are just missing the connection, but you are very close.  Did you look at the screen shots I sent you earlier?  

20 Messages

• 

452 Points

I think I need to clarify. The images and documents I am referring to are all on One Drive on my computer and One Drive's site online. My laptop is a work computer and we are not allowed to store anything on the C drive. Only files on the cloud are backup. I had been saving everything to my USB drive but decided to put everything on One Drive since that is the default place to save on the computer. The files are synced on One Drive on the computer and on the USB drive. Do I need to save my files and images on the D drive (USB) to be able to put them into Website Builder. I can do that but I prefer to keep everything on the cloud so it gets backed up. I am not very good in remembering to backup my USB drive.

159 Messages

• 

8.1K Points

Well in order to get them from one cloud to another, I am pretty sure you are going to have to download them SOMEWHERE (like the USB) in order to have somewhere to draw them from. I don't use Google Drive myself because I have a heck of a time getting back to my files (or collaboration files) so I just said the heck with that. I do use Dropbox for some things, but I always download them to my laptop.  I have seen that I can access the files without downloading them from there, so it may be possible to do something similar with One Drive.   Maybe try this--when you go to "browse" to get your pictures, try accessing the One Drive files (similar to accessing them on your computer and see if you can grab them from there.) It would seem logical to be able to do that.  If not, do yourself a favor and CALL technical support (they might be closed Monday) and talk to a real technical person.  800-710-1998.  I hope you get it figured out, but I recommend walking away from it for a little while. I know you are frustrated, but I also know that what you want to do is not impossible.  PS:  I get your concern that you don't back up often, but once you get your photos and docs into the website builder, they are on THEIR cloud.  

Brand User

3.5K Messages

• 

78.4K Points

If I'm understanding correctly that your issue is that images are sitting in the uploading portion of the process, but nothing ever happens, can you please log out of the builder completely, clear cache, log in and try again? Let me know if it's still not going past the loading portion of the upload?
If it still isn't, can you tell me exactly what file type and size this image is?