homestead_faq's profileBrand User

664 Messages

• 

44.3K Points

Wed, Oct 17, 2012 3:37 PM

Sitebuilder Plus: Password Protected Pages

Sitebuilder Plus: Password Protected Pages

You can password protect pages that you don't want to be viewed by the public. Follow these steps to password protect individual pages:

1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

2. Go to the page you'd like to password-protect.

3. Click Page Settings in the top toolbar. Select Advanced Settings from the drop-down.
      Then, enter a password for the page.

4. Save and Publish the page and it will be password protected.

Warning: Search engines can't crawl any web page that is password protected. Your website may be penalized by ranking lower in search.

Sites that do not use Master Templates will always have the password field available on every page. However newer sites that were created with SiteBuilder Plus and include the Master Templates, have a feature where this can be turned on or off. If you need to set a password for a page, but don't see the option, click the "Background, Links, Footer" tab, and then you will see a button that says "Set for this page". After selecting that button, then go back to the "Advanced Settings" tab, and it will show the password field. 

Responses

4 Messages

• 

140 Points

8 y ago

Is it possible to password protect just a file on a page?

774 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

It may be, but it depends on the type of file. What kind of file do you need to protect?

4 Messages

• 

140 Points

I have a word document I need to password protect and a pdf PP presentation. Thanks,

774 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

To password protect a Word doc, you'll need to set the password when you are in MS Word. Here's how: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wor...

For a pdf file it is similar except there are numerous applications that can create pdf files. Just search Google for "how to password protect a pdf file using XYZ program"

3 Messages

• 

154 Points

7 y ago

5 Messages

• 

334 Points

Is there an answer to this question?  I too have one page and don't want to have everyone having the password to the entire site so how to get people, ie customer, to just this one password protected page which will have its own password?  

5 Messages

• 

394 Points

7 y ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Password protecting your website.

How do you put a password on your website using Sitebuilder Plus?

9 Messages

• 

308 Points

7 y ago

How do I change the password for a password protected page?.

7 Messages

• 

604 Points

7 y ago

Directions: Simply cut and paste the following into the <body> tags of your page. To configure the password, change                                                                                                        
letmein. To change the password protected page (the target page), change protectpage.html     <SCRIPT>
function passWord() {
var testV = 1;
var pass1 = prompt('Please Enter Your Password',' ');
while (testV < 3) {
if (!pass1) 
history.go(-1);
if (pass1.toLowerCase() == "letmein") {
alert('You Got it Right!');
window.open('protectpage.html');
break;

testV+=1;
var pass1 = 
prompt('Access Denied - Password Incorrect, Please Try Again.','Password');
}
if (pass1.toLowerCase()!="password" & testV ==3) 
history.go(-1);
return " ";

</SCRIPT>
<CENTER>
<FORM>
<input type="button" value="Enter Protected Area" >
</FORM>
</CENTER>

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Where did you add the code?  Where did you get the code?

Drew

12 Messages

• 

360 Points

7 y ago

There is no "Background, Links and Footer" in when selecting "Page Properties".

774 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Jim, You'll click Page Settings and you should see this:

If you are seeing something different let us know or include a screenshot.

Mike

12 Messages

• 

360 Points

7 y ago

I don't see this box when I go into editing the page.

I click on "Format", then "Page Properties". A box appears with the tabs "Basic", "Meta Tabs" and "Advanced" at the top.

Typing in the password is under "Basic".

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Sorry for the confusion Jim, this topic is for the new online Sitebuilder, not the desktop version that you are currently using.

It looks like you contacted a chat agent yesterday.  Are you still having a problem or is this resolved?

Thanks

Drew

12 Messages

• 

360 Points

7 y ago

Not reseolved.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

Ok, I'll be happy to take a look for you.  Which site and page are you working on?

Thanks

Drew

12 Messages

• 

360 Points

7 y ago

Site   :   www.travleague.homestead.com

Page  :  roster.html

**  Note  :  I have removed the password.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I think it may have been a cache issue as when I first brought up your page it did ask for a password and then after you posted this, it did not.  Try adding it again and make sure you refresh the page.  If it still doesn't work, let us know.  Also, let us know which browser you are using?

Thanks

Drew

12 Messages

• 

360 Points

7 y ago

That's a solution I've tried previously.

Clearing the cache and History doesn't make any difference for me.

Also, the box you showed previously does not exist on my version of Site Builder.

As to browsers : MIE9 and Firefox 6.3.13.

As you have seen, there is definitely a problem with the password function.

774 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Your browsers may be the issue.  Try to upgrade IE to at least version 10.   Your Firefox is very out dated as their most recent version is 30.0.

Let us know if this helps.

Mike

12 Messages

• 

360 Points

7 y ago

I downloaded Firfox 30.0.

I added the password to the page.

I restarted my PC.

I then brougut up the web site. I went to the "roster" page.

Same result --- NO password box.

So  --  obviously this is a Homestead Problem. The problem is NOT on my end.

1.4K Messages

• 

262.9K Points

I am sorry, there is no problem on our end.  I get a password prompt when navigating to the roster page.  I am using Chrome, Firefox and IE and all prompt me.  Can you check a different computer or fully clear your browsing history?

Drew

774 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

I am now getting the password box on all three IE, Firefox, and Chrome. As Drew mentioned above, this does sound like a caching issue. When are viewing the page in Firefox, try pressing the F5 key which should force the browser to download the current page.

Mike

6 Messages

• 

352 Points

7 y ago

I have figured out how to password protect a page however its plain plain plain.  I want my home page of my site to have a place to put a password then be able to log into the rest of the site. How would I do that?

774 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

michelle0083,   There are some options on this page that may help you out:
Do you offer a member login option?

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

7 y ago

how can I make a site show "under construction" while making changes?.

I have built the site and the client wants to have the site hidden for a week while we make some major changes. We do not want to delete the site, just hide it. How do I do this?

774 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

Hi Nicole7402,   the easiest thing to do is put a password on the pages. This way, you can still publish and test/view the live site by entering the password, but other viewers won't be able to see it.  Then when you are ready for it to be seen by all, just remove the passwords. 

Also, FYI... Just to avoid confusion this might cause, when you add a password to a page it makes the navigation links so that they are not visible, but the menu will stil be there when you remove the password.

Mike

3 Messages

• 

162 Points

7 y ago

How do I temporarily restrict access to my website for updates?.

774 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

justinnaylor027719
,   The easiest thing to do is just add a password to the pages you don't want others to access, then remove the password when you are done updating the page.  

Mike

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

7 y ago

How do you block your site from the public?.

774 Messages

• 

184.8K Points

mbrosefitness2450   The easiest thing to do is just put a password on the page, and then when you are ready for the page(s) to be viewed, just remove the password(s) and republish the site.