elana2826's profile

28 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

Sun, Nov 14, 2021 4:49 PM

My URL has vanished from the search engines

As of November 14, 2021, my URL of www.bullcrapbusters.com has suddenly vanished from the Yahoo and Bing search engines.

When I use the search phrase of "bullcrapbusters" there is no longer any hyperlink to my website on the resulting search pages of Yahoo or Bing.

I have paid my subscription fee for my website the "BullCrap Busters" for the month of November for the year of 2021.

Homestead has an advertisement that says "get a website...get found...get customers".

I cannot get found if the search engines do not display my website like they have been doing for the last seven years.

Looking forward to your assistance.

Elana Laham

Author of the BullCrap Busters

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Brand User

3.5K Messages

• 

78.4K Points

2 m ago

Hello Elana

There are a couple of things I could point to that are likely the cause of this. 

But first, I did see on your website that you think that someone at Homestead has done this. I do want to let you know that this is absolutely not the case. No one at Homestead is censoring your website in any way. We only take websites down if they are in violation of our TOS like selling drugs or guns, or other illegal activities, which your site does not. Even in those cases, we send an email to the site owner and have them remove the content in violation or suggest they move to a different hosting provider that would allow that content. It would never be done without your knowledge.

In regard to the issue you're experiencing, your website is built on Sitebuilder Plus, which is an older builder that is not mobile-friendly and not secure. These are two detriments to SEO, which is what gets your website ranked on Search Engines. I don't have information specific for Yahoo and Bing, but I do know that Google has published public insight into their algorithm that lets us know that they are only crawling the mobile version of websites, so if your website isn't mobile-friendly, you will not show up on Search Engines. 

Google's Mobile-First Indexing | Homestead Community

I would highly recommend you rebuild your website in WebsiteBuilder, which does provide a mobile-friendly site and an SSL. You would do this by creating a new site in your account, give it a temporary site name (this will end in .homesteadcloud.com and is only temporary until you move your domain to the new site), and build the site while your current site is up and running. Once you're ready to switch, you can change the site association of your domain. 

Account: Create a New Site | Homestead Community

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, let me know.

28 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

@elyzabethv 

Hi elyzabethv

It’s nice to hear from you!

It’s interesting that you mentioned that my website, which is built on Sitebuilder Plus, is not mobile friendly because just the other day I was talking to a woman about my anti-bullying website and she was interested in visiting it.  So I gave her my website’s URL domain address of www.bullcrapbusters.com and she went right to my website on the Internet with her mobile cell phone.  Albeit the text was small it was readable.

You mentioned that my website being not secure is the reason why my URL does not appear and has disappeared from the search engines.  My website is an educational website so I do not collect any private information from anyone, which is the reason why I have not secured it.  It has not ever been secure, however, all three-search engines of Yahoo, Google, and Bing posted my website’s URL and html.  It was only recently on November 14, 2021, that my URL and html suddenly vanished from Yahoo and Bing.

As far as Google goes it’s interesting that you mentioned that Google only crawls the mobile friendly version of websites since as of this date Google is the only search engine that is posting my website’s URL and html and my website is not mobile friendly as you know.

You also mentioned that not mobile friendly + not secure = no ranking on search engines.  As I mentioned in my post it is my URL that vanished from the search engines of Yahoo and Bing.  My URL is not associated with popularity ranking, only my html is.  My URL is my house address to my website’s domain.  So it is weird that it has suddenly vanished.

Thank you anyway very much for your prompt reply and for trying to problem solve my issue.  :-)

I really appreciated it.

Have a great day!

From Elana Laham

Brand User

3.5K Messages

• 

78.4K Points

A site not being mobile-friendly does not mean that it cannot pull up on a mobile phone. Just that it isn't optimized for mobile viewing. Basically, it is a less convenient viewing experience for mobile users, so search engines penalize sites for that. 

It is no longer the case that only sites that handle sensitive information need to be secure. It is now considered a "best practice" for all websites. 

If you want to learn more about the importance of being mobile-friendly and secure when it comes to SEO, you can definitely find a plethora of articles on the subject both here on our Community and from other sources through a search. I can't tell you why this is just becoming an issue or why your site wasn't affected before. All I can say is that those are the most likely reasons that I can see would cause this.

Always here to help where I can. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

28 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

@elyzabethv 

Hi  elyzabethv

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

You mentioned that search engines penalize websites that are not mobile friendly.  So does that mean that, the search engines vanish a website’s URL and html that are not mobile friendly?

Because, as I have already mentioned to you, my issue is that my website’s URL and html suddenly vanished from Yahoo and Bing search engines.

You mentioned that search engines consider it a “best practice” for all websites to be secure.   So does this mean that, the search engines vanish a website’s URL and html that are not secure? 

Since, as I have already mentioned to you, my issue is that my website’s URL and html suddenly vanished from Yahoo and Bing search engines.

You mentioned that the “most likely reason” why my URL and html has vanished from the Yahoo and Bing search engines is because my website is not secure and since my website is not mobile friendly. 

You mentioned that “most likely” if my website becomes mobile friendly and secure then my website’s URL and html will appear again on the search engines. 

You mentioned that Sitebuilder Plus is an older builder that is not mobile-friendly and not secure.   This means that, I have to rebuild my website on Homestead’s new Sitebuilder, which does provide a mobile-friendly site and an SSL.

Is SSL an acronym for Secure?

If such is the case then every customer of Homestead has to switch to the new Sitebuilder from the old Sitebuilder Plus in order to have their websites URL and html appear on the search engines.

If such is the case then why is Homestead still offering Sitebuilder Plus to its customers?

If such is the case then why on Homestead’s social media do I find other customers that are using Sitebuilder Plus?

There is a customer whose name is Dwayne 9771 who, recently on November 2, 2021, posted on Homestead’s community website “Can’t Edit my Site on Sitebuilder Plus”.  You resolved his issue for him.  He did not mention that his URL and html are not appearing on the search engines.

Looking forward to your reply.

Elana Laham

Author of BullCrap Busters

Brand User

3.5K Messages

• 

78.4K Points

It means, as far as we've been told, search engines no longer crawl websites that are not mobile-friendly and secure. If a website is not being crawled by search engines, then it will not appear on search engine results pages. I have no way of knowing for sure why your website suddenly disappeared off of Bings search engine results (Yahoo is powered by Bing, so it is pretty much the same thing), as that is something only they know, but as I said, those two things are the most likely reason. The only other thing I can think of is that there was something on your website that violated something in their TOS, but I've never seen anything on your site that would do that. 

Sitebuilder Plus is definitely an older builder. We no longer offer it for new websites. We just haven't deprecated the builder, so customers who previously built sites on it can continue to edit and manage their website within it. We have been asking and highly recommending for years that customers consider switching to the newer builder, for this very reason. We just aren't forcing people. We've created Community articles about it, sent out newsletters, sent marketing emails letting people know of the benefits of switching. We know not everyone will see them, but we have been talking about this for years.

We do still help people who experience issues with the builder. It's just that not everyone is on top of their search engine ranking like you are. :) 

SSL stands for secure socket layer. 

28 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

2 m ago

Hi elyzabethv,

Thank you so very much for working so hard, trying to problem solve my issue.  Wow!  :) :)

I really appreciated it.

Have a wonderful day.

It was nice to hear from you!

From Elana Laham

(edited)