J

14 Messages

• 

240 Points

Sat, Oct 30, 2021 1:37 PM

Emails Going to Spam

I've had to stop using the email associated with my homestead website, because so many recipients are not receiving them, they are getting filtered out as spam.  The email is jim@singingboysbrewing.com and the website is www.singingboysbrewing.com

I had a similar problem about a year ago, posted it here, and it seemed to be at least partially resolved.  At this point, I need it fixed - my email is basically unusable.  I've even had emails that I've sent as replies to emails I've received get filtered out to the recipient's spam.  I can't trust that any email I send will be received, so for now, I'm using my gmail account for everything.  

I'm open to any suggestions.  I would be willing to pay to get this fixed.  I can't stress strongly enough how I need this fixed.  

Thanks,

Jim

129 Messages

• 

7.4K Points

1 m ago

Jim...I've had the same issue over the years with my homestead email account but I can never seem to put my finger on which ones fail.  I use Outlook 365 for my email in conjunction with Round Cube.  I think that may be the reason that Homestead now offers Gmail, but I would be curious to know if there is anything Homestead can do to improve the situation with Roundcub and Outlook.  Since I already pay for Office 365 I would prefer not to sign up for another subscription to G-Suite, so hopefully, a solution is available.

14 Messages

• 

240 Points

@david2953  Thanks for your insight.  If one uses G-Suite, does it look like a Homestead email?  I mean, from the recipients' point of view. 

And yes, I agree, I already pay an annual fee to Homestead, for an email account, and I do not look forward to paying an additional fee just to get something that should be working.  

That being said, I need the email to work.  Cannot continue like this.  It seems to me that my options are for: 1) homestead to fix the issue for free, 2) pay homestead to fix the issue, 3) pay for the G-Suite to fix the issue, or 4) leave homestead and go with another service.  

129 Messages

• 

7.4K Points

If you use G-Suite (Gmail) you can make it look like your Homestead domain email. (jim@singingboysbrewing.com)

You can find more information from Homestead on Gmail https://www.homestead.com/~site/jws/GoogleWorkspace.action

I suspect mail that comes from a Google server has a higher level of trust, hence, the likelihood of your mail going into spam is less, but as I said earlier I would like to hear someone from Homestead to weigh in on that.

There may even be a way to use a free G-mail account to achieve the same results?  For me, I already pay for MS Office so I have no interest in subscribing to Googles Office Suite.

5 Messages

• 

110 Points

@david2953  - has your problem been solved? I have a similar issue. I'm using homestead/roundcube. I'm using outlook on 365 for my email, and something  is causing some emails to go to peoples' spam folders.

I believe its got to do with the DKIM being invalid.

Brand User

194 Messages

• 

21.7K Points

I updated the email records for your domain, that may help resolve some issues. If emails are still going to spam folders however, then there are some options to help work towards resolving that. The most important is asking the person you are sending email to, to add your email to their contact folder or as a safe sender. Another is to offer Opt Out option if you are sending marketing type emails.

5 Messages

• 

110 Points

@todd_h  

Thanks Todd. Let me see if this helps.

Regards.

13 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

1 m ago

I also have that problem.  I do not use Outlook or any other program so it is a straightforward problem with RoundCube.  I hope someone can advise a solution.

Brand User

2.8K Messages

• 

71.8K Points

Hello, 

I cannot view your DNS to see if it is updated, so you'll need to check that through your Cloudflare account:

DNS Records for Homestead Email | Homestead Community

Otherwise, the response I posted above applies to this situation as well. 

Brand User

2.8K Messages

• 

71.8K Points

1 m ago

Hi Jim, 

There are multiple reasons why an email would land into a spam folder, but there are a few things we can do to help prevent it or to help begin fixing the problem. You can ask your customers to begin saving your email address to their contacts, and also offer an option to opt-out of messages. When it comes to providing phone numbers and physical addresses in your signature, less is more. What this means is you would want to provide just one phone number, or one physical address if necessary for your signature. 
Lastly, it is important to keep in mind that Homestead uses a shared email server with other Homestead customers. It may be worth looking into professional email options, such as ConstantContact, Google Workspace, or any other premium services.

14 Messages

• 

240 Points

@elyzabethv Thanks for your reply.  This isn't an occasional issue, people who have saved my email address to their contacts are having this issue with my emails.  It even happens when I reply to an email someone sent me.  

I don't have any phone numbers or physical addresses in my signature.  I do have a number of links.  

This isn't a business for me, its an avocation, a hobby website and email address.  

Is there someone I can contact, by phone or chat, to deal with this?  I need to figure out what my options are and which direction to go, because I can't continue this way.  Thanks,

Jim

14 Messages

• 

240 Points

@elyzabethv I've looked through the Google Workspace materials and that is a possibility.  I have two questions:  1) will it solve the problem and 2) I am a heavy Google user already, with a personal and work Gmail account, I use the Google Drive, Docs, and Calendar extensively, how will this work with that?  Can I keep them separate?  

Brand User

2.8K Messages

• 

71.8K Points

I can't guarantee that you won't have emails end up in Spam folders with Google Workspace, but since it is a premium email service, it is much less likely.

The Google Workspace account would be separate from your gmail but you would have to switch 'Gmail accounts, typically in your chrome browser.

14 Messages

• 

240 Points

@elyzabethv Thanks again for your response.  

Would another option be to change domains?  Would that help?  This is a hobby website/email for me, not a business, so its not a big deal to switch.  If I opened another domain, with a different name, with Homestead, then copied the current website over to it, and then closed the current domain/website/email, would that potentially be helpful?  And is it possible?

In other words, could the problems be related to my current domain (singingboysbrewing.com) being on some kind of a spam flag list?  

Jim

Brand User

2.8K Messages

• 

71.8K Points

It would most likely work, at least temporarily, but I couldn't guarantee that as a long-term solution as we don't know exactly what is being flagged as spam in these email systems. 

6 Messages

• 

180 Points

20 d ago

I have a similar problem.

If they go to the receivers spam I don't really know about it unless I'm expecting a response. But what I am VERY aware of is the fact that every time I reply to an email from an online.de email address it is immediately bounced back to me.

Thus far I have been laboriously and inefficiently forwarding the mails to my personal gmail account and then embarrassingly explaining to my clients that I can't get through to them!

Today I'd had enough since the bulk of my business comes from Germany. So I sent a mail to an address for assistance that comes through with every bounced email. I suspected I wouldn't get any real help as I was not following their instructions. This was their reply:

As the sender of the original email and the recipient of the bounce mail
(non delivery report) you are addressed in the error message, too. But
the message said to contact your own postmaster (*) who then need to
contact us for clarification of this problem. The email address given in
the error message is reachable even though a system which is blocked at
our site.

(*) You should reach the postmaster account in the domain of the server
    that sent the bounce mail to you.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but we need to have direct contact with a
person responsible for the server, because administration only can solve
the problem. Thank you for your understanding!

The bounce mail comes to me from: Mailer-Daemon@eigbox.net

I've sent them an email but who knows where that will end up so in desperation I've come to the source of the problem  - Homestead - to find out why we have an email product that actually does not do what it is supposed to do!!

Apart from that if anyone here can assist me I would be most grateful

Brand User

2.8K Messages

• 

71.8K Points

@heather2294

Hello, 

I can see this bounceback and it does specify an IP address. As we use shared servers for our email services, we do rotate our IP addresses pretty consistently. I'm wondering if this issue was related to a specific IP address, and may have been a temporary issue. Can you try sending an email to that address again and let us know if you still get the bounceback? If you do, we can definitely pull that new bounceback as well and get a ticket escalated. 

6 Messages

• 

180 Points

Hi again

sorry for the late response and thanks for getting in touch.

I have sent out 7 test emails to guests asking that they let me know if they receive the mail. Thus far 2 have already bounced back and I'm waiting to ''hear'' from the others.

I'm going to assume that if they don't bounce back and I don't get a reply in the next 24 hours then they've not arrived. Thats actually worse as I'm then left in the dark and in many cases have lost bookings because of it. This reply from a web.de email address for eg:

''Dear Heather,
 thank you for your reply. Indeed, I didn't receive your previous email. We would have been very happy to rent Lavender cottage but unfortunately we booked yesterday evening another accommodation.''
I'll let you know how things go with the other test emails through the day.
Thanks!
Heather

Brand User

2.8K Messages

• 

71.8K Points

Thank you, Heather. 

I've escalated a ticket to look into this. 

One thing we can try in the meantime is adding a DKIM, although it can't be added through our system.

DKIM Record | Homestead Community

I'll let you know when I get a response on the ticket. 

6 Messages

• 

180 Points

Hi again

So the final tally of the 7 test emails I sent is 2 bounce backs and 1 reply. I have to assume that the remaining 4 never 'arrived'.

2 went to t-online.de of which 1 bounced back

1 went to web.de

1 to yahoo.fr

1 to horbach.de which bounced back

1 to arcor.de

the one that replied was sent to gmx.de. In the past this client has both received and not received mails from me hence trying her again with this test.

Looking forward to hearing about the ticket and if something can be done about this.

many thanks

Heather

Brand User

2.8K Messages

• 

71.8K Points

Ok, I'll add that information to the ticket. Have you tried adding a DKIM?

13 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

18 d ago

@elyzabethv   I am having the same trouble.  Also, people sending emails to me say they are getting bounced and I am not receiving them.  People not on Homestead do not appear to have problems with their other contacts outside of Homestead,  Here is just one:

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: jane Fletcher <jane@janefletcher.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2021, 02:42:49 PM PST
Subject: Fwd: Failure Notice
And this one came back, too...

Begin forwarded message:

Subject:  Failure Notice
Date: November 14, 2021 at 2:41:50 PM PST

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

< Jane@JaneFletcher.com>:
554: bosimpinc03 bizsmtp Connection refused. 74.6.134.42 is blacklisted.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Subject:  Re: Dinner with Thomas and Andrew
Date: November 14, 2021 at 2:41:45 PM PST
To: Jane Fletcher < Jane@JaneFletcher.com>

Hi Jane,

I just saw that message, along with this one.  For some reason about 1/2 of the messages  I receive from you go into my “Junk” mailbox and I don’t always remember to look there. (and no I didn’t set it up to do that!) 😉

That’s fine if 
This comment was created from this reply
Brand User

2.8K Messages

• 

71.8K Points

Hello, 

Since you have your nameservers pointing to Cloudflare, I cannot check your email DNS for you. Please log into your Cloudflare account and make sure you have all of these email records input correctly:

DNS Records for Homestead Email | Homestead Community