R

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

Thu, Jul 28, 2022 11:10 PM

Email Has Stopped Working

Email has worked fine for nearly 10 years but is has recently stopped working.  It still receives incoming email but all outgoing gets this Mail Delivery System failure message:

"This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

sunnyfallsrb@gmail.com

host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [172.253.122.26]

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

550-5.7.1 [66.96.186.5] Messages missing a valid messageId header are not

550 5.7.1 accepted. 3-20020ac85943000000b0031f38130365si1362017qtz.451 - gsmtp"

This now happens for all our company email.  Request a quick solution as this is a serious problem for us.

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Brand User

6K Messages

• 

102.1K Points

Il y a 2 m

Hello, 

The first step in troubleshooting this is to make sure that your DNS is correct. Since your nameservers are pointing to Cloudflare, I cannot check this for you. Please log into your Cloudflare account and make sure you have all the correct DNS:

‎DNS Records for Homestead Email | Homestead Community

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

@elyzabethv​ 

Thank you for this lead.  I will check Cloudflare as soon as I can figure out how to do so...  Homestead directly implemented Cloudflare several years ago and we have not interfaced with it at all.  In fact, we have not changed anything at all and outgoing email capability just stopped working...but we still receive incoming email.  So thinking something has changed recently on Cloudflare or Homestead that has caused this.

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

@elyzabethv​ 

Okay, figured out how to login to Cloudflare.  POP, IMAP, SMTP and MAIL did not agree with what you provided so I edited these to make them agree.

While in Cloudflare, I noticed there is some New Email Security feature.  Perhaps this new feature is causing our problem?  However, I don't have clue how best to configure it, so I left it as is for now.

Brand User

6K Messages

• 

102.1K Points

I haven't heard of any changes with Cloudflare that would affect our email and we've received no other reports, so hopefully fixing the DNS will do the trick. 

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

Changing the DNS to agree with what you provided now allows email to be sent.  However, it now gets flagged with attached Warning and some recipients reject it outright as Spam.  Something has changed, but nothing on our end that I can think of.

Brand User

6K Messages

• 

102.1K Points

Can you please double check the TXT record? It should be 

Host Type Value  
@ v=spf1 ip4:66.96.128.0/18 -all

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

Il y a 2 m

Yup, I missed that one...  Changing TXT to agree with what you provided did the trick...email sent without any Warning.  Thank you...very much appreciated!

But as I said initially...we didn't change anything and everything worked fine up until about a week or so ago.

Brand User

6K Messages

• 

102.1K Points

Well, if the DNS was incorrect, it was just a matter of time until it stopped working. I can't say for sure what caused it to happen now, though. 

Those are the correct SMTP settings. TLS is fine, but I'm not familiar with SASL. 

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

Il y a 2 m

Now need to get our Grandstream phone system to email voice messages...  Do you happen to know what the correct SMTP server should be?  We are currently using:

smtp.homestead.com:465

We have TLS and SASL enabled.

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

Il y a 2 m

All is now working again...again, very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Bob Borst

www.BorstEngineeringConstruction.com

25 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

Il y a 2 m

I am getting the following error a lot when sending email: 

this message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 48 hours on the queue...No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message
remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up,
and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

Brand User

6K Messages

• 

102.1K Points

Hello, 

I've looked over both of your domains and don't see anything on our end that would cause this. Are you using the email through Roundcube or an email client like Outlook?

If it's an email client, please make sure all of the settings are correct:

‎Email Client Settings | Homestead Community